Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-23-2005, 10:18 AM

Default MGM.. wild game, big pot, marginal hand

MGM wild late night 2-5 game

relevant players

utg is half-drunk guy who is overly aggressive with everything, he has $5000 on the table in a $500 max buy in game..so he has been winning

utg +1 is horrible player and has no clue and doesnt give a sh*t about money

utg stradles ($5000), utg+1 makes it $20 to go($800), 3 callers call, i have 88 on the button($1100) and raise to $100 hoping to take the pot down there or get heads up w utg +1...doesnt work...utg makes it $200 to go, utg +1 calls, 3 folds and i call

($670)flop comes 9 7 2 rainbow

utg bets 240, utg +1 calls, i call??

($1390) turn 5

before utg acts utg + 1 flips over a 7 and says "can you beat this?"

utg goes all in, utg +1 calls, i have 670 left..
Old 07-23-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: MGM.. wild game, big pot, marginal hand

[ QUOTE ]

utg +1 is horrible player and has no clue and doesnt give a sh*t about money

utg stradles ($5000), utg+1 makes it $20 to go($800), 3 callers call, i have 88 on the button($1100) and raise to $100 hoping to take the pot down there or get heads up w utg +1...doesnt work...utg makes it $200 to go, utg +1 calls, 3 folds and i call

($670)flop comes 9 7 2 rainbow

utg bets 240, utg +1 calls, i call??

($1390) turn 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I like the way you played this hand. I agree with you that you want it to get heads-up but the pot size when it gets to you is already $100, and you have already assured us that UTG and UTG+1 will be in the hand.

I think you make the most money on this hand in the long run (since there is so much action in front of you) by just calling and hoping for a set. Too many people in to hope for a heads-up by betting $100. If you think getting heads up against the big stack is the way to go, you have to be willing to put your whole stack at risk. I don't think 88 is the kind of hand you want to do this with.

Also, your only hope of winning this hand after the flop is to push when the bet is made to you. Calling here just gets you into trouble as now you have $440 invested in a game where the max buy-in is $500 with a medium pocket pair.

What was the range of hands you put each player on? Maybe this will help me understand the way you played a little better.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:23 AM

Youre crazy. I dont like anything about how you played the hand. Why are you trying to beat a bunch of drunk crazies w/ deep stacks with a bare pair of 8's. Would it be a crime to just call on the button here? Then were talking about a lot of information you can gain from more bets going in on the flop/turn. Also if the straddler raises, then you can decide whether or not to reraise him.

Whyd you call the flop? The only reason to just call the flop is to see their action on the turn and decide if youre beat. Calling for information if you will...its expensive but not as expensive as Raising for info...Now they show a bunch of action and you still want to call? If so, I think you should have raised the flop...especially because you may not have enough to protect your hand on the turn and even more so if you think you can get them to fold 9x hands. THe last reason to raise the flop is to not play guessing games on the turn when like a J or Q hits.

Nevertheless, thats a pretty good turn card...If you were ahead on the flop, youre probably still ahead...but I think theres a decent chance you were beat preflop...maybe utg has TT...It just depends HOW crazy they are. Also you havent told us your image...how crazy do they think you are because they certainly arent concerned about you in the hand. It certainly is possible though that UGT has AJ and UTG+1 has A7 or 78. Does he make this restraddle type raise w/ anything?

-JP

ps-I love that game...when I was in vegas for a month this summer it was my chief breadwinner.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:49 PM

I think a call here with pp, the button and 2 crazies in has huge +EV and set value. Raising to isolate with just 88 makes post flop play very difficult as the crazies will be firing regardless of flop and you don't have a good enough hand to stand the heat.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:56 PM

why are you trying to 'take it down', in that game with 88 in position in a raised pot?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Youre crazy. I dont like anything about how you played the hand. Why are you trying to beat a bunch of drunk crazies w/ deep stacks with a bare pair of 8's. Would it be a crime to just call on the button here?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, preflop reraise is bad. it made the pot too big and hand difficult to play. utg+1 was soo bad, iwas making this play often to try to get it heads up..mostly didnt work

[ QUOTE ]
Whyd you call the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

i called the flop b/c the pot was big and i thought there was a decent chance i had the best hand. both of these guys were crazy. moving in or folding probably would have both been better plays at that point.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:28 PM

This is not a tournament, dont try to "take it down" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just call preflop and the hand will play itself much easier and you won't have to risk your whole stack.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:06 AM

at 50-1 on the button, I am licking my chops. Stack someone off.