Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Party 5/10 - My hand gets better, resistsance grows stronger...

Button is new to the table, which has otherwise been pretty average for this level.

- - -

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

- - -

In retrospect, I have wondered about this hand a good deal.

It's too early to read this player as solid, but if he is, there is a pretty limited range of hands that he could make these plays with, I think -- and my final hand doesn't beat all that many of them.

Should I have taken my foot of the gas at any particular point? Was capping the river as poor a play as I now think it was? (My current thinking was that my line was okay until that point, where I now think that calling his reraise should have been the end of it)
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Party 5/10 - My hand gets better, resistsance grows stronger...

For those who don't know. Quiksand is a legendary Front Office Football player. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't like the river cap against an unknown. You're not ahead 50% of the time. He has AA or A8 more often than he 3-bets a worse 8. It's not a big mistake, though and certainly not worth losing any sleep over.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who don't know. Quiksand is a legendary Front Office Football player. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker... not so much.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:27 PM

This may sound stupid and flame-worthy, but is this preflop call slightly loose vs. unknown?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may sound stupid and flame-worthy, but is this preflop call slightly loose vs. unknown?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am open to both types of criticism. I would not have called just the button raiser, but the SB caller made me think that my connectors made this a worthwhile call.

But I'm open to being told I am incorrect there.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
called just the button raiser, but the SB caller made me think that my connectors made this a worthwhile call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would much rather have 89o HU w/ the pfr than a 3-way pot. The only time I would rather be 3-way than HU is when I have a monster like AA or KK.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 PM

PF call was fine and your play was fine. Just another bad beat. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Other than saying, good play, someone really needs to explain to me how 89off, 3-ways, OOP, against a raiser who we don't have a negative read on is a play I want to make.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just another bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in this case, perhaps. However, unlike the usual poker so story, this bad beat was foisted upon the villain.

He shows down 55. Decided to slowplay his set on the flop, made a boat on the turn (when I made my trips) and then got outboated on the river.

In the end, he flayed me with an expletive that I still can't fully translate from the asterisked Party version.

Questionable call preflop, and probably unwise to cap the river... but in between I don't see any way to get away from this hand, just to perhaps lose a bit less (usually).
Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 PM

dont be a wuss, cap all streets