Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Party 15/30 - top set on ragged flop, when to show power?

Hand I had today at Party 15/30 – have two questions.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.66 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.33 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (14.33 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.33 BB

- - -

Questions –

#1 – How is my line on this flop? I clearly have mighty power with top set and a ragged flop, it’s bet and raised into me – my first thought was to smooth call the two bets and reveal my true strength on the turn. However, after a third bet, I felt like there was sufficient strength out there to go ahead and cap it. Did I give away too much about the power I was sitting on with this call-reraise move?

#2 – I like what I see on the board, until the river checkraise. I’m trying to think what he’d have here … only a A5, 56, or spade flush beats me, of course – so what can he have? I was thinking he had a lesser set when he made it three bets on the flop. Now, he caps it – and I fear I might be beat. Any problem with my reraise at the end?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Party 15/30 - top set on ragged flop, when to show power?

he could have a hand like 78s and caught you with runner runner. however i think the reraise on the river is fine since i think he will turn over a smaller set here more often. his smooth call on the turn tho and checkraise the river is uncharacteristic of most PP players with a set though.

i also think smoothcalling the 3bet on the flop is better here. unless you are being read a lag, your smooth call of the raise, then cap shows alot of strength. id just smooth-call here because it looks like you cant fold AK to a raise. i think you win more bets by waiting till the turn to raise with a caller in between you and the BB.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:53 PM

I think you should have waited for the turn, as you will have a player between you and the leader to trap on the big street. I expect that he showed you JTs or 76s and you lost. I dont think a set would play it that way, because there seems to be no point in not raising the turn with a set.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:57 PM

people call too much, over play there hands too much, and in general give way way too much action on party poker.

they also rarely believe flop action.

for those two reason i can't remember the last time i slowplayed something on there
Old 01-17-2005, 12:23 AM

i doubt u lost, hes most likely got a smaller set. i think u coulda maximized ur profit by showing your strength on the turn and raising, u woulda won at least 2 more big bets. either way good hand, i think its urs, results plz
Old 01-17-2005, 10:13 AM

For what it's worth, at the showdown, I lose to 8s4s.

He hit bottom two pair on the flop, bet out, and three-bet it. The turn helped him toward his backdoor flush draw, which he hit on the river.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:40 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

what could that deuce have possibly made him other than a flush? he's not slowplaying, because he fast played the flop. the river helped him. I doubt he made 2 pair unless it's something stupid like 92. he probably had a pair and a backdoor flush draw, 2 pair and a backdoor flush draw, or a straight draw with a backdoor flush draw on the flop. I think you're going to see a flush at least 3/4 of the time here, which would be too much to 3-bet