Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Raising pre-flop limpers when in good position

I'm trying to learn to be a bit more aggressive with good (but not great) hands per-flop. I feel I am probably calling with a number of hands when raising would be a better play. (At a few different levels on PokerTracker, I am showing right around an 8% PFR)

In a few other threads here, I have seen mention of pre-flop raises with hands that I'm "borderline" about (and frequently just call, rather than raise). I am used to playing hands like A9s, ATo, KTs, and QJs from late position, but I don't think I raise with them frequently enough against large fields (say, three or four limpers ahead of me). I may have a similar issue with middle pairs like 77-99, though the logic may be different, I guess. I have the sense that I'm missing some good raising opportunities by doing so. (I suspect I'm falling prey to the fear that someone out there might well have any of these hands dominated, so I'm reluctant to push them...)

Can someone either offer some general though on the value of raising hands like this, or alternatively, suggest a book where this topic is detailed particuarly well?
Old 12-28-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Raising pre-flop limpers when in good position

Think of a pre-flop raise as a jab. Now, your opponents are back-pedaling and on the defensive. Unless they have a monster, or the flop hit them greatly, you will still be on the offensive, and more often than not win the pot right there.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:13 PM

Well said. These borderline hands are also often better than whatever junk the (bad) limpers are playing. As Ed Miller says, they'll win more than their fair share.

Also, if you really fear you're dominated, then it's probably not correct to call, either.

-Grendel
Old 12-28-2004, 09:17 PM

Oops, I forgot to recommend Small Stakes Hold Em, which really changed the way I look at borderline big-card hands.

After reading the book, my basic philosophy is thus: If somebody raises preflop before you, muck 'em. But if all you have is a bunch of limpers before you, drive your hand like it's best until somebody lets you know otherwise.

-Grendel