Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Maybe slightly OT - $ share in MTT winnings

The other night a friend of mine was playing in a tournament, $18 rebuy. About 300 started and down to 44 players he had to go out so asked me to play. He left me with 64k chips, average was roughly 45k. No agreement was talked about at the time which I regret now. I had played a couple of times for him before but never won anything.

Anyway, the MTT went really well and after about 2/3 hours play I ended up getting 2nd for $3k. He came online again when there were 5 players left, and watched me play it. When it finished it was vvv late so we all just went to bed.

He sent me a message the day after asking how much do I think my share should be...how much do you think it should be?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Maybe slightly OT - $ share in MTT winnings

i'd say around 15%

but if i had done that for a friend, i wouldn't expect a share
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 AM

I would be hoping for anything from 20% to 50% depending on the person.

It is however their money, but I would reward someone for those amounts depending on how much they played, and have always found that I get those kinds of amounts if it goes the other way.

Lori
Old 12-30-2005, 10:13 AM

Dude, if you had busted, you would pay 0% of the buyin. Guess how much your share is? Thats right: Zero percent, period.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, if you had busted, you would pay 0% of the buyin. Guess how much your share is? Thats right: Zero percent, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

by the same token, if he had not taken over, his friend would get ZERO for placing anywhere ITM. It works both ways. IMO i think 25% to 50% is fair.

I just played in a free roll sponsored by a local radio station last night on AP and was 1 hour in and in 1st place with 23k. I was having compatability problems with having that program and PS running at the same time, so I asked a family member to take over. I told him that he could have 2/3 of whatever he won. Granted first place only paid $300, but if he didnt take over i was dumping it completely or pushing allin every hand until it was gone. With out his help, i have 0% chance of getting anything. Just food for thought.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 AM

However, it's a dick move to take any money, unless he gives it to you without your request.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it's a dick move to take any money, unless he gives it to you without your request.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are missing the point of OP's post. he said his friend e-mailed him asking him how much he thought his share should be, so he is giving it to him without his request. Discussions have been based on this information.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:06 PM

50% was the first number that came to mind.

If you don't take over, he gets $0 right?

I realize he got it down to 44 players on his own, but it's not that hard to get to the bubble in MMTs, the real deal is what goes on once you get to the bubble.

I gaurantee he is surprised/estatic that you got 2nd. There's no way he would have expected to do that well himself.

Ultimately, it's up to him since you didn't work something out. But I would say 50%, and don't stress or be pissed of if he offers something lower. Tell him you think 50% is fair and don't get too caught up in heavy negotiating....unless the money is more important to you than his friendship.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 PM

$500-1000 feels right to me.

If you were getting Staked, a 50/50 deal would be reasonable. Since, he went beyond that, and gave you an above average stack with 85% of the field gone, I'd say you deserve much less than that. I would figure out what his % of total chips was, back that % out of the prize pool, then split the rest 50/50, or 40/60.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:32 PM

Did some rigorous calculations based on a few assumptions and:

$775.85