Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 AM

Default \"u are a rock at this limit\"

I'm a rock? Really????

So yesterday, I get home from work and I got to put in my 40 points on Party to get the scracth card for the next day. In the spirit of Metetron & Bob playing for the cruise, I decide to play the day at 2/4 limit. I'm a NL player who has tried to play limit a few times but hasn't had much success.

I open up 6 tables of 2/4 and let it mine a little while I cook myself up a quick dinner. I come back and jump on the waiting lists and go at it.

Overall it was an okay session. 289 hands and finished +5BB so for me not playing limit for months, I didn't think I did too bad. Suffered a couple horrible beats but oddly enough, they didn't tilt me at all. Had it been NL, I would have been cussing like crazy at my computer screen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So I'm winding down and I start getting bored. When I get bored, I look to chat. On one of my tables, a guy had cold-called a raise preflop with pocket 3's, flopped a set and rivered quads. After the hand, the guy he was up against said :

"please don't cold call me with 33, it will tilt me"

Perfect chance for me to jump in and get a chat going. I replied something to the effect of "okay, I'll remember that" and then cold-called his raise on that very next hand and said "I'm cold-calling with 3's here". I had A4s and 3 people ahead of me had called the raise so I was all about seeing a flop. The flop came dead for me and I folded to a bet.

After the hand, the guy replies to me "I wasn't talking about you Iggy, I don't think you're capable of making that play". Interesting, I don't know whether this was a complement or an insult. I asked him and his reply back to me was "u are a rock at this limit".

Me? A rock? It's been awhile since I played limit, but I have my table session stats shown. I was currently at 18/9/3 over about 50 hands on that table.

Am I that out of touch with limit?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: \"u are a rock at this limit\"

Those don't look like the stats of a rock. Either:1)he uses PT, and since you are a lot lower than most players, in VP$P, he thinks you must be a rock. Or, 2)You had only been playing with him for a short time, and hadn't been playing many hands since he has been watching you.

I'd be interested in knowing what his stats were(obviously a 40/15/3 is going to consider more players rocks)
Old 12-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Rock? No. For 2/4 (full-ring) and the like, 18/9 is pretty much on the money. Typical ranges for TAG's are VPIP between 15-20 and PFR between 7-10. 3 is pretty aggressive for AF, but with only 300ish in the sample hands far from maniacal.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:04 PM

I had A4s and 3 people ahead of me had called the raise so I was all about seeing a flop.

fold

win would have been 7bb. this is limit

Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 PM

for full ring those stats are fine
Old 12-29-2005, 04:55 PM

I find rocks at 2/4 are more likely to be losing players, way more likely, like 2:1 on the losing side, -5.5 BB/100. Gimme a table of rocks at 2/4 any time.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:00 PM

CCing A4s was bad.

You're not a rock, and 2/4 players don't really know what they are talking about unless their handles are TheHammer24.

He may be referring to you as Tight seeing as people who CC with 33 usually have VPIP of 40%
Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CCing A4s was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very. I don't think there is any immense amount of value around, but it's probably ok to call with the raiser and three cold-callers in the pot already.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:29 PM

I'll reply to a bunch of things here in just one post :

1)He was sitting at the table when I got there so he saw all 50 hands I played there.

2)His stats over the same amount of time : 21.5/15/2.86

3)I was aggressive, but it was a passive table for the most part. People kept checking to me after weak flops so I'd bet it and more times than not I took the pot down.

Okay, now with a little strat talk. I don't play limit so I'm not exactly sure why the CC of A4s with the original raiser & 3 cold-callers infront of me is a bad play.

I know my Ace is pretty useless with such a weak kicker. I was playing more along the lines of a possible flush. What am I, like almost 1:9 there for the flush? Factor in the weak ace & weak straight, I didn't think it was such a bad play. Loose table also so I was expecting more callers behind me. I have a pretty easy decision no matter what the flop is then.

If this was NL, it would have been an easy fold for me because with so much $$$ on the table, I'd expect a strong, late position player to make a play at it preflop. Why is it a bad limit play?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 PM

what ya' gonna do when an ace flops? what about a flop with a 4 and a backdoor flush possible?

flushing your money. and speaking of flushing, you were not getting the odds to play it for the flush.