Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-11-2005, 03:38 PM

Default SNG Playing style

Hello All!

I have been lurking here for awhile but this is my first post.

I have been playing poker seriously for only about 4 months now. I was just wondering what your guys' playing style is when you are playing SNG's.

I usually play really tight in the first 3 levels, usually not even playing one or two hands. In the next three levels, I tighten up even more and only play Pocket Aces through Jacks. I will take the opportunity to steal some blinds if I think I can, though. Then, in the levels after this, usually after the bubble, I loosen my game up and start gambling a little bit. The only problem is by this point, I am usually the short stack becuase I haven't been playing many hands and I usually finish in 3rd. Would you guys recommend playing a little looser in the earlier levels to try and build your stack up so you have a little better chance of winning when you're ITM?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I had to ask.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: SNG Playing style

take cover
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 PM

I would lurk around the forum, read the FAQ, and use the search function to find general strategy posts.

You are way too tight in levels 3+.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:10 PM

if you are reching the bubble with an average stack, then you aren't getting there enough.

i think most everyone who makes money with sng plays in a manner similar to what you mention...tight early, then ramping up aggression progressively. this translates to >30% ITM, with the (less critical) consequence of having a below average stack in the midgame, "on average". heh
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Lurk harder. And read everything here.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Read through this thread.

[ QUOTE ]

I usually play really tight in the first 3 levels, usually not even playing one or two hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. You'll need a non-crappy stack to be effective later.

[ QUOTE ]

In the next three levels, I tighten up even more and only play Pocket Aces through Jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good. You should be opening up, and getting in some more steals. The link above has plenty of information on how to play common situations.

[ QUOTE ]

Then, in the levels after this, usually after the bubble, I loosen my game up and start gambling a little bit. The only problem is by this point, I am usually the short stack becuase I haven't been playing many hands and I usually finish in 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're counting on others to bust out before you. Sometimes this works, but even if it does, as you noticed, you don't have enough of a stack to really play ITM and get those 1sts that you really need.

[ QUOTE ]

Would you guys recommend playing a little looser in the earlier levels to try and build your stack up so you have a little better chance of winning when you're ITM?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I had to ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a dumb question. Most posters might not remember a time when they were playing scared and passive on the bubble, but it's just one of those initial obstacles every 1-tabler has to get through.

You should also post hands here, whether you think you played them well or not.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:00 PM

Play 1000 sit and gos. As long as you are somewhat of a winning player this will benefit you the most as long as you try to learn from every play you make.

SNGS require a lot of math and knowledge of how to play correct icm poker etc. But nothing substitutes for experience.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is probably a dumb question

[/ QUOTE ]

It was.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SNGS late in the game when the blinds are large require a lot of math and knowledge of how to play correct icm poker etc. But nothing substitutes for experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 AM

Good to see people making repsonses that help people trying to learn for the first time, instead of the sarcasm from some people in this forum.