Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-01-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Hand from a tough session - advice?

So like Beer, I am getting a memorable lesson on the variance of poker. What do you guys think of this hand? Would you have thrown in the towel on fourth?

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.90 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (3.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (6.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (9.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___raises___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds

Total pot: (17.45 BB)
Old 08-01-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Hand from a tough session - advice?

[ QUOTE ]
Would you have thrown in the towel on fourth?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way.. You played it fine I think.. I recommend staying away from the 10/20's for a little bit.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 PM

looks like a good hand to me.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:54 PM

I think you should raise on third. You have a 3-flush, three live overcards to your opponents door card, and there are no higher door cards to worry about behind you. I don't think there is any reason to play a multiway pot here. (Even if you think the limper will come along, it still may be better to raise.)

Given that you just called third, I think the the rest of the hand I play the same.

No reason to stay away from 10/20, just scout out the tables a little. Also, I think night may be better than day. However, I still mostly play 5/10, so this is based on small sample size.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 PM

I fold fourth. Two dead hearts and a total brick -- do you really want to hit a pair on fifth?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:09 PM

I think folding 4th would be a crime here. But I also would have raised 3rd, so maybe it's a case of internal consistency biasing my thinking. I think even without the 3rd street reraise it's worth taking one off though.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 PM

I play it 100% the same. Folding 3rd is too weak and raising after the completion is too agg since there are two dead [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I think you have enough potential with your hand to peel one more off for a SB on 4th and after that there really are no tough decisions to make.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 PM

When I come in with a marginal hand in stud, I don't mind paying a 3rd st. completion because of the higher implied odds the extra bb round provides. However, when I brick 4th, now those same implied odds are working against me.

My hand will play very well when I catch good on fourth, if I make top pair I'm likely ahead and have three cards to improve. If I four flush, I've got a reasonably live draw to a likely winner. Now the others have three streets to pay me off.

But when I brick, now I'm the one chasing. I run the risk of catching just enough on fifth to chase down (as happened here), which is just too expensive versus the small size of the pot on fourth. These situations vary alot, and player types, live cards and pot sizes can change a fold to a play or vice versa. But in this hand, I think a fourth street fold is fairly easy.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I run the risk of catching just enough on fifth to chase down (as happened here)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a big difference between making open queens on 4th or 5th in terms of the relative strength of your hand in this particular situation? Given the action I think it is reasonable to think that you are ahead on 6th street and possibly 5th.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 PM

I think there is a huge difference. Remember, when you call 4th, you don't know if you will catch anything on 5th. Sometimes you'll brick again and fold. But when you catch a Q on 4th, not only are you likely winning now, you can improve further on 5th, to two pair or trips or queens with a four flush.