Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 11:10 PM

Default OOT Recommends Mogwai and Sigur Ros, more!!

A couple of weeks ago, I asked the learned denizens of OOT for some musical recommendations (more exactly, for "Unbelievably sad music").

See, now, I don't play. I immediately purchased about forty CD's, entirely based upon the recomendations I got here. I bought everything from Beck's Sea Change (wow--"Lonesome Tears"--wow) to Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. Patty Loveless. The Decemberists. Joseph Arthur. The Civil War Soundtrack. Elliot Smith. Lisa Germano. Wilco. Fripp. Arvo Part. I got all carried away.

I am glad to have purchased all of these CD's, but must admit to being most excellently pleased in particular with the Mogwai stuff and the Sigur Ros CD's (I bought 'em all--I oughta know). I even bought the Angels of the Universe Soundtrack and all of the EP's. They're still being delivered every day.

Anyway, my point was to first say thanks to OOT for this very valuable information.

My next point was to say that I cannot believe that there was this much great music readily available that I had never heard before. Now, I know a fair amount about music (enough to tell you that it seems fairly obvious to me that Mogwai was pretty heavily influenced by Swans, most notably Soundtracks for the Blind and the Great Annihilator), but I guess I have been so busy/antisocial of late that I have simply fallen out of the loop.

Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People and Rock Action are destined to become two of my all-time favorite CD's. I am truly amazed and sincerely thankful to OOT for turning me on to this unbelievable stuff.

As for the Sigur Ros material, I mean--good lord, it's brilliant. Spellbinding. Holy sh*t. Oh my God.

Thanks, guys!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: OOT Recommends Mogwai and Sigur Ros, more!!

Well I just went out and bought Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People so thank you.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:30 PM

yeah sigur ros owns. whered you buy all of these?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM

try elbow and arab strap if you liked mogwai and sigur ros...i think they are both from scotland
Old 11-28-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I just went out and bought Mogwai's Happy Songs For Happy People so thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great stuff. I can't stop listening to it.

That said, I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone. It is, however, I suspect, perfect for anyone who does not listen to the radio, has a great love for rock and roll, and understands that sometimes the soundtrack is the best part of the movie.

If you never have, you might want to check out Swans (but be forewarned--the stuff can be pretty harsh). The Angels of Light CD's are damned fine, too (and far less harsh). Ok, although this is pretty far off the original point, try poking around here for a while:

http://www.younggodrecords.com/prodt...ageHistory=cat

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah sigur ros owns. whered you buy all of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a bunch on Ebay, and some at the local used bin hipster doofus store when I was up in Jersey for the holiday.

Ebay absolutely rules for this sort of endeavor. Get home from the office, and, oh! how nice--the mailman left me a box with five new CD's that cost me a total of about $50.

Now where'd I leave those headphones?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beck's Sea Change (wow--"Lonesome Tears"--wow)

[/ QUOTE ]
one of my absolute favorite albums. And great song.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:57 PM

What other Sigur Ros albums did you buy? I have () and Takk, and they're both awesome.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you never have, you might want to check out Swans (but be forewarned--the stuff can be pretty harsh).

[/ QUOTE ]

From Wikipedia:
One of their trademarks of their early work was playing painfully loud live to which audience members sometimes regurgitated and the police sometimes had to force them to cancel.

Harsh sounds about right.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the local used bin hipster doofus store when I was up in Jersey for the holiday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me that you don't mean the Princeton Record Exchange.