Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: OT: Help me plan my summer

Sounds like a fun opportunity. If I were you I'd check out options in a few different sunny locations, maybe check out summer sublets on craigslist. There are a bunch of fun cities out there...just make sure you get a nice spot. I'd also recommend getting another friend or two to go with you. Having a buddy isn't such a bad idea anyway, both financially and socially (think...wingman). Bonus if the guy is a local and even more bonus if he knows hot chicks.

Once you figure out the plan, however, be sure to think about the opportunity cost. I know I spent my college summers working and interning. I made a little dough, but nothing to brag about, but the real benefit was that the experience kickstarted my career when I graduated from college. So I'm glad I put in my hours for corporate america. Not saying you're doing anything wrong. Just think about a few different options. I know 3-4 interns at my current company that are making bank (relatively speaking) from a paycheck, and making even more extra cash after-hours playing poker. Their hours aren't as crazy as us full-timers, so they get to live it up a bit more. It's nice being in college [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway good luck.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:56 PM

By the way if I were in your situation I'd check out Hawaii, Mexico, or southeast asia...something a little different anyway. Just need to make sure you get a solid internet connection.

I don't disagree with SoCal, however.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:02 PM

Good post and thanks for the advice. This is the kind of stuff I want to start thinking about. I'm also considering an internship at home but I want to get the ball rolling on different idea's with plenty of time to think about it.
Hawai and Southeast Asia are two places that I have considered and would be unreal I think. Also I would want to go with someone else for sure (wingman etc)
Old 10-31-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post and thanks for the advice. This is the kind of stuff I want to start thinking about. I'm also considering an internship at home but I want to get the ball rolling on different idea's with plenty of time to think about it.
Hawai and Southeast Asia are two places that I have considered and would be unreal I think. Also I would want to go with someone else for sure (wingman etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

what i would do in your position is take a couple weeks during your winter break and seriously spend them applying to some "reaches" for internships for this summer.

also, do a bit of networking, and find out if friends of your parents, friends of former bosses, etc., "know" anyone who could hook you up with a high quality internship.

if nothing comes through, or if you just end up being offered a job that isn't right for you, don't take it. play poker and enjoy your summer. but if you find something that is right up your alley and may well give you some valuable connections and experience for your career, you should probably take advantage of it.

fwiw, i did this during/after my freshman year of college, got an internship for sen. paul sarbanes (d-md) and was absolutely thrilled with it. i got to spend the summer completely immersed in politics, which was something i was obsessed with. not only that, but it opened a lot of doors for me, and i credit it for eventually leading me to law school.

i'm going to do something similar this summer. gonna apply to a couple reaches for internships (a couple "power" firms in baltimore, annapolis and dc), and if i don't get them, spend half the summer working for the law firm i've been working for during the past few summers, and half the summer travelling around this old country of ours, playing poker.

so, good luck. college is the best time. keep enjoying it.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:44 PM

I actually have talked to my parents and I was starting to look into an internship for a Canadian MP. Obviously it would be a cool job and open doors but I think the right travel experience would kick ass. I'm kind of like you in that politics is the only thing that's gotten through to me so far in University (besides booze and chicks). I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I defiantly have a real interest in it. Also I really wanted to go to Law school at a point but I just don't know if I would have the discipline for it. The other thing is I don’t think I would need to commit my summer to either poker/travelling or an internship. I could obviously combine the two which I might do. OHHH choices choices. At least I have a lot of time to figure it out.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:45 PM

Inya - not sure why you are getting all this hate. All you asked for is suggestions on a cool place to live for 3 months...
I don't really have any suggestions for you, but would like to add that I have had very similar thoughts recently. Making very high amounts of $, no responsibilities in the summer, and using this time of my life to travel and have fun during the summer. Just wanted to add my support. Keep up the good play, i've seen you at the tables. And if you find a good place to go, let me know!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 AM

Thailand is relatively cheap. 'degen' is there and loving it.

'unarmed' is in hawaii and likes it, although this would be more expensive option.

choose a place you want to explore and go from there. alternatively, buy a laptop, backpack and travel europe.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well if you want beaches, weather, and cost of living doesnt matter. Wouldnt SoCal be ideal?

[/ QUOTE ]

no there are many places much nicer than soCal. nonetheless, socal is nice place.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:59 AM

I lived in Okinawa Japan for three years and loved it, thinking of spending next summer there. The places I'm considering for next summer are SoCal, Florida, Hawaii, Thailand, Okinawa, back to Italy, or kick it with some friends in Turkey.

Cool to be a military brat , I can pretty much go anywhere in the world and crash with friends for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alternatively, buy a laptop, backpack and travel europe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest problem with this would be internet connections and housing. Also I would probably switch back to NL cash since it would be hard to 8 table. As for the actual travel and experience it would be amazing I'm sure. I've been wanting to travel Europe for a long time and I have a lot of friends that will be around. I guess the problem with making a choice is that there are way to many cool places to go.