Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Hello,Popesc,I\'m almost ALWAYS polite to my Oppos...

I also make an effort to be polite to people that play poker with me. This time I slipped up and it wasn't even a bad beat.

I lost half a pot when the board made a straight on the river. I had AA vs. his QQ and had read the situation correctly, but made a mistake on the turn by not check raising. I was really more mad at myself for not checkraising the turn.

I felt really bad when he left. He was the perfect loose passive player to have sitting on my left.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Confess your poker sins

I raised Q5s to 200 when blinds were 30/60, got four callers, and called 1.5x potsize bet with a flush draw on the flop, for my entire stack....then went "what the hell am I doing?"

Sometimes I have this irrational belief that when I raise "the pot belongs to me"
Old 10-21-2005, 04:06 PM

Here's one that happened to me a few days ago. I limp in pot in position with 44. Flop comes A64 with a 2 spade flush draw. Someone bets into me, I just call. Turn comes 7s completing the flush and putting a straight draw out. Same bettor, I call again. River is 5d so I theres 3 spades on the board and a 4 card straight. Its bet into me again.....this time, I PUSH!

The worst part was me thinking(sorta thinking, not sure where I was at this point) 'I hope he caught his straight so I can beat him with my set.' Sure enough he had A8 and rivered the straight. Much to my suprise, they push the pot his way.

I feel like a complete moron at this point. I can't chalk this up to a learning experience, I've been playing poker for 5 years and know what beats what. It's not like I wasn't paying attention either....I just stopped thinking. I got in the mindset of "I flopped a set and he bet, I'm gonna slowplay and raise later." Shortly after that I had to stop playing. I felt burned out and confused at my stupidity.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 PM

at a live 3/6 game the board was 4 straighted and i had a ten giving me to best straight. there were raises and reraises after the river and i figured it was going to be a split pot 3 way (which had just happened a few orbits previous) so i said, "i'll save the rake" and just called instead of raising again. both other players had the ass end of it and i won a smaller pot than i could have. i felt like an idiot because i think the rake was maxed at that point anyway.
when i said it i was thinking about how at a pokerstars NL table somebody went all in on with a straight on the board, everyone called and it was split 4 ways so everyone came out behind practically. one of the players said, "geez, save the rake buddy".
i will never do that again.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:10 PM

I went on tilt after continous suck outs and disobeyed Sklansky's preflop rules in Small Stakes Hold' Em and spent every darn penny of my bank roll and wont be able to play for weeks. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 04:32 AM

Default LOL! Hello,Howard! I did change my ways...

about tipping. I play almost exclusively in cyberspace where I do not have to feel bad about MNOT tipping.
Remember,for me,this is a min part-time job.
I never did see employees tipping their bosses when they go to work.
Nice to see u ,Howard!
Bitting bULL--i MEAN sITTINGbULL [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 05:40 AM

Oh man, that reminds me...

I was playing 5/10 limit, and had only really played NL before. I had 66 on a flop of 543r, a bet may have gone in on the flop, turn blanked and a bet may or may not have gone in, river 2, no flush draw, board not paired, heads up, I was bet into, and I..... called. He had the ace.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:44 AM

All of them.

When I started poker I'd see people doing really stupid things and I'd think, 'Whatever mistakes I make at least I'm not doing that'. But as time has gone by I've made every one of these mistakes.

I've value called the nuts HU on the river. I even thought it through. I said to myself, 'He's likely got a set of 9s or 8s so I'll just call with my set of aces'. It was a non str8, non flush board. My read was spot on.

Once I was trying to decide whether my set was good on a 4 flush board at NL that I didn't notice that I had filled.

Tip of the iceberg.

All those posts on 2+2 entitled 'Why do fish do this'. I've done them. It's humbling and cathartic really.

James
Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 AM

The biggest pot I have ever won was when I played threehanded NLHE well above my bankroll, made a donkified call for my entire stack on the turn and sucked out on the river.

Only reason I sat down in that game was because I was on severe tilt after numerous bad beats. Normally I don't even play NLHE ring games, especially not shorthanded.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:52 AM

I sometimes drink when I play.

I haven't bought the license for Poker Tracker yet.

I haven't re-read the section on bluffing in Theory of Poker because the first read made me dizzy.

I enter a ring game or STT feeling superior before I get a read on anyone.

I haven't worked on my stud game.

I will still play when I'm tired.

I've taken a rush at lower limits and donked it away at a higher limit table.

So, who hands out the penance and says go and sin no more? ;~)