Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Adding another monitor to a laptop

I tried posting this in the computer technical help forum, but didnt get much of a response. I am looking into buying a monitor to add to my laptop, is there any way you can tell what the max resolution will be on the second monitor before buying it? My max resolution on my laptop is 1680 by 1050. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Adding another monitor to a laptop

On the monitor box there will be a max resolution label...or if u buy online it should tell you..it's not like some sick twisted guessing game.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:14 PM

It's up to the new monitor, the video card/driver on your laptop, and your OS. Your current laptop resolution pretty much tells me that it is new enough that it will all be on the monitor you buy.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's up to the new monitor, the video card/driver on your laptop, and your OS. Your current laptop resolution pretty much tells me that it is new enough that it will all be on the monitor you buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. Also, typically it's limited by the amount of memory on your laptop's video card. Anything over 32 megs and you're good with just about any external monitor you buy. If you post the make/model of your laptop or your laptop's video card stats I could give you a more definite answer.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM

While we're on the subject, I've got an Inspiron 9300 and 2 2001 FP's that are currently still packed, awaiting my move.

Can I simply plug them both in (one through DVI, one through S-video out) at the same time and have them work, or am I limited to the 9300 screen + 1 2001FP? If it's the latter I'll just buy a cheap desktop.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:30 PM

Dual monitor functionality is part of the video card. Bring up your display properties, then click on the Settings tab. If you don't see two monitors there, or if there aren't two choices in a Display: dropdown you only have a single.

In that case, plugging a monitor into your laptop will get you exactly the same content that is on the laptop display -- NOT a second one.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 PM

I have the Radeon X300 card, which has multiple monitor support. I just don't know if I can use the 2 different video inputs on the back of the laptop at the same time.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:45 PM

I don't know, but I don't think Windows will display the option on the settings unless you have all the monitors you want plugged in.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM

This this suggests you should be able to. Probably plug one into the vga, one into the dvi.

http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeonx300/

[ QUOTE ]
With multi-monitor display capability, you can increase your productivity by up to 50% by extending your desktop workspace across two monitors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Of course you know the proper answer to you question is plug them in and see what happens.

Hmm...I have to do things like plug stuff in for my brother the attorney.