Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Hi/Lo Declare? Home game mania...

In a local home game the participants play 7 Stud Hi/Lo declare. Every street is played normally until all the cards have been dealt. At that point one is required to declare if they are attempting to win the hi, low, or both. If you incorrectly "declare" you forfeit your right to all the pot.

Is this rule as absurd as it sound? I have avoided this otherwise lucrative game because of this bizarre rule.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Hi/Lo Declare? Home game mania...

I have never played hi-lo declare but I am pretty sure that is how its played. It doenst sound that absurd to me. I would play if its a good game.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:36 PM

Best to play with coins in your hand - everyone declares at once by opening their hand. 0 for low, 1 for high, 2 for both. You need brass ones to declare both many times - because if you don't win both, you win nothing. It can be a fun game.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:17 AM

This is my absolute favorite game. It used to be one of the more popular home variants before the current NLHE craze. Make sure you have clear rules governing those situations where someone declares both and blows it.

High-low stud/declare might be the most lucrative game there is. Unless you suck.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:19 AM

Andy,

I've never played this game before. Can you give me some "general guidance" on declaring at the end? Do you have to declare in order of position or everyone at the same time?

Also, I'll be at Bellagio for about 10 days in December and may check out a mixed game there that includes Stud Hi Lo Regular (no qualifier). I've never played this either but I understand the correct strategy is to only play for low. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-21-2005, 09:20 AM

Jeff - I think its way better for everyone to declare at once. Otherwise, there can be an advantage for the person who has to declare last. Having everyone declare at once sure adds to the drama too.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:00 AM

Yeah, everyone should definitely declare at once. This is why you use the chips in hand method generally.

This is a great game. I play in a $5 buyin home game with good friends where this is the most commonly called game. Even though these guys are awful at poker in many ways, I still have to think a lot. It gives some great opportunities to sneak into half a pot. And it makes playing for high ok, without the arbitrariness of a qualifier. Good times!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:51 AM

It is a good game, but it takes some skill out of it. Too many split pots and not alot of scoops.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:34 AM

This rule isn't absurd at all, this game was the one most often called in my dealer's choice game back in high school (late 80's) and I was still playing it in home games up thru the mid- to late- 90's. Usually, we played it with simultaneous declare holding 0, 1 or 2 chips in your hand to indicate which direction you were going. If you declared for "both" you had to scoop or you lost everything (no ties). Since there is no qualifier for low, you should only go for low.

Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my absolute favorite game. It used to be one of the more popular home variants before the current NLHE craze. Make sure you have clear rules governing those situations where someone declares both and blows it.

High-low stud/declare might be the most lucrative game there is. Unless you suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are the tricks of the trade? But truth be told, I do suck.