Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Nut straight on monochrome flop

No reads, unfortunately. Just sat down recently. Won two quick pots without much fanfare and now this one. How'd I do?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: TWP is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, TWP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, TWP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, TWP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, TWP calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

River: (12.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, TWP checks.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Nut straight on monochrome flop

any reason why you are not raising this flop? The pot is pretty big and folding a single small/medium heart would not be bad.
What do you do if BB 3-bets the turn?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:35 PM

I didn't raise the flop because if a heart hit I was going to fold and if a heart didn't hit, I assumed that I would get the opportunity to raise the turn. And if the BB 3-bet the turn I would cap it up. If CO 3-bet the turn, though, I would fold.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:39 PM

Preflop limp is pretty sketchy.

If MP1 calls on the flop I will call. Here I think it is very important to raise to possibly fold out a gay heart by CO, for the times that BB has black kings or something.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:48 PM

This is a mandatory flop raise. If bet into on the turn I raise again, but slow down if 3 bet.

Good river check through. The only hands that are calling are likely to have you beat, and you may foil any CR attempt.

EDIT: I also don't make this call preflop. I call if I have 3 limpers or more ahead of me. Certainly not with one.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:54 PM

So limp is too loose (I had a feeling it was, but I'm used to no limit) and I shouldn't bother to call flop so that I can raise the turn, I should just raise the flop. And this is because I might get CO to fold a small heart on the flop whereas he probably won't fold it if a heart hits the turn. Yes?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:18 AM

Flop call is too loose - you don't have the implied odds to stack someone when you hit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On the flop - I don't blame you for calling because you'll hoping for just calls behind you so that you can be bet into on the turn and raise with a non heart (where your equity jumps considerable) or even fold when a heart drops.

BUT - when the action gets that heavy you just have to cap it for value (nobody with a high heart is going anywhere at this point)

Turn - good

River - good

Now, please teach me NL, I'm trying to start at NL25 and I need some sort of preflop strategy/starting chart as a guide - everytime I ask that in NL I get the "the money is made post flop" line [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 06:11 PM

The money is made postflop in NL. But to start off, just play AK and pairs. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 06:18 PM

PF limp is pretty bad

I also am wondering why you didn't raise the flop, you might have been left HU with BB who most likely has a single heart.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:18 PM

Another reason to raise the flop is that there's a good chance BB won't bet the turn.