Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Default How should I have played this hand?

Ultimate Bet 0.01/0.02 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.01. CO posts a blind of $0.01.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, SB (poster) checks, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4s 6s (straight, seven high).
UTG has 7s Kh (three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 22.50 BB. </font>

This is a situation where I'm not sure exactly how to play. I have the second or third best possible hand and someone keeps raising me. I'm not sure if I should cap the bets because I may be beat if they keep raising me. How should I play a situation like this?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this hand?

I think that you played it pretty well. I would've slowed down after he three bet the turn and just called the river.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Fold preflop.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You're kidding, right? If not, please explain. He's getting great pot odds and if he hits the flop, as he does, great implied odds.

Regards,

T
Old 08-15-2005, 04:30 PM

I think you played this fine. You flop a monster and get in a shootout with a very loose and aggressive player. He could easily have an overpair the way he's playing this. The three-bet is suspect since he didn't raise preflop, so maybe it is right to slow down a bit on the end.

This hand is an excellent example of playing a purely speculative hand and having it pay off.

Regards,

T
Old 08-15-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? You're kidding, right? If not, please explain. He's getting great pot odds and if he hits the flop, as he does, great implied odds.

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I realize you have 4 limpers and position, but 46s?! Do you really hit monsters like this often enough for 46 to be profitable in this situation?

Edit: Went back and checked the SSH Preflop Chart and it looks like I was wrong. My bad. I'm still not sure I like calling here, but if Ed Miller says it's okay, then it must be okay.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:48 PM

Actually, I preferred a dissident POV to an expression of blind faith in Ed Miller.

I can't access twodimes from work, but someone try running the following hands:

64s of s
AKo of any two suits
QQ of other two suits
ATo of any two
JTs of hearts

I'm curious how 64s does against such a lineup. Of course, the AK or QQ would have raised so these 4 are presumably weaker.

Idle predictions:
ATo is badly dominated and wins &lt; 15% of the time.
JTs is dominated by QQ and AT but suited and wins 15-20%.
QQ and AKo are powerhouses and win 25% each.
64s is still dominated by QQ but wins 15-20%.

Of course some of those are runner-runner trips or two pair where you'd be long gone. On the other hand, when you miss with 64s you know you've missed and fold, so you don't need to win 20% of the time for it to be profitable.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:41 PM

Against 6 random hands, according to Poker Stove, 64s has 14% equity. Which indicates it's going to be a good limp on the button because the SB and BB are likely coming along.

Here's the specific scenario you posit (I think):

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 24.6148 % 24.58% 00.04% { 6s4s }
Hand 2: 24.7038 % 24.43% 00.28% { AcKd }
Hand 3: 32.0177 % 31.98% 00.04% { QdQh }
Hand 4: 04.3588 % 03.60% 00.76% { AhTd }
Hand 5: 14.3049 % 13.79% 00.52% { JhTh }
</pre><hr />

64s ain't that bad. This is a point Harrington makes in his tournament book that I think is somewhat applicable to cash games as well.

Regards,

T
Old 08-15-2005, 06:43 PM

There were no flush draws present, and really he didn't have a straight draw (unless he had the exact same cards as you). Next time, notice this, because the most he can have really is trips or two pair, both of which you can beat.

By the river he could have had a higher straight (6-8) but unlikely from calling UTG.

You played this well and should have been excited that he caught something and could make money on a flopped straight. Nice hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize you have 4 limpers and position, but 46s?! Do you really hit monsters like this often enough for 46 to be profitable in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can count on the SB in most games. And the BB is going to come too. Interestingly, I think 6 other players are required for this limp to be correct. 5 limpers is a very close call. If you can only count on 4 other players coming along, it's a fold for sure.

Of course, if you always fold 64s on the button to a large number of limpers, you will give up very, very little in the long run.

As for believing the charts, you're right to be skeptical.

Regards,

T