Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Slowplaying HU early in game

I usually play tight agro at 10's/20's and lately been experimenting with AA or KK by limping if I'm HU with someone. Here's my rationale:
(1) With such a small field, odds are against foe holding a decent hand worth reraising with
(2) Most people are not blind stealing in early levels so a raise looks real
(3) for the reasons 1 ands 2 foe will most likely fold if raised preflop
(4) im likely to gather more chips post flop
---------------------
Here is an example:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

CO (t815)
Button (t770)
Hero (t785)
BB (t1175)
UTG (t785)
UTG+1 (t620)
MP1 (t1640)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t610)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t25.00) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t225.00) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero all in</font>
Old 06-21-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Slowplaying HU early in game

looks like the converter botched this. WTF is going on?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:15 PM

I don't mind this move, but I prefer it at the higher blind levels. The stacks are so shallow that I prefer a smaller than normal raise preflop. But limping is fine.

One thing to remember: when playing a hand this way you MUST be prepared to let it go postflop. Even against one opponent.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:22 PM

i didnt feel threatened by this flop, only two jacks left in the deck giving him 4% of holding one and im halfway to nut flush

whatcha do on the turn?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didnt feel threatened by this flop, only two jacks left in the deck giving him 4% of holding one and im halfway to nut flush

whatcha do on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

His odds of having a jack are higher than 2/47 since he is more likely to bet if he has one. The raise looks a bit big but maybe he thinks you are a calling station. On the turn I doubt your getting a jack to fold and I don't think a flush has every been folded on PP when only 3 flush cards are on the board. He is either bluffing and has nothing or you are not getting called. What is the point of this bet?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:51 AM

[/ QUOTE ]
His odds of having a jack are higher than 2/47 since he is more likely to bet if he has one.

[/ QUOTE ]

his bet doesnt change the odds, it could mean a number of things. so you think he either hit a flush or has the jack?
how would you have handled the flop ?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whatcha do on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check and call since you're not likely to be outdrawn and you're not going to fold, and also you could be beaten.

In general I think slowplaying early is too risky.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the point of this bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my question too. What is the point of your allin here? Only a hand that beats you will call almost without exception (with the small exception of some donk with an 8 calling). And it's not as though you are pushing to eliminate draws -- you've got the nut draw! I don't really understand this bet at all.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 AM

i thought his flop bet was a bluff, that i had him beat, and that he may very well call
Old 06-22-2005, 11:01 AM

No, he thinks he will only call you if he has a jack or a flush and fold any hands that you are ahead of.

You are really going to struggle to get any more chips out of him here because any raise on your part will probably make him fold anything but a jack or a flush. Maybe a raise on the turn might tell you where you are, but if he comes back over the top you've missed an opportunity to re-outdraw. So, after slowplaying all this way and getting into a situation where you are either way ahead or a bit behind I would call the turn and call the river, unless an ace pops up.

disclaimer: I don't really like playing this way because you have no idea where you are, so my advice may be off on this one.