Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Ack! It\'s Spreading

I've just entered two $3+0.30 tournaments in the last hour. One is a Stud H/L and it's now using the 20% schedule. If I finish in 41st-56th places (336 entrants), I'll win $3.02, so I won't even cover the fee. The other is Omaha H/L and it is still using the 10% schedule.

I'm also starting to work on a project where I'm going back through a few hundred micro-level Stars tourneys I've played over the past few years to figure out whether or not I would have done better or worse with the 20% schedule. I'll post results of that once I'm done and I hope some others will take the time to do the same.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: 20% ITM on all Stars MTT\'s

It's not taken away because it was never yours to begin with.

Poker is a business. The tranfer of EV from the better players to the not so better players is good business for tournament organizers.

On the margin it will increase the participation by not so better players -- It will result in larger field sizes or more tournaments with large fields.

It will drive better players to higher limits.

Both outcomes make money for tournament organizers.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: 20% ITM on all Stars MTT\'s

This is a bold move by pokerstars, and should be considered with Party's elimination of rakeback for their site's players.

As the industry matures, the pokerhouses are going to squeeze the profit out of the system. You, as a player, have very little bargaining power and are a passive participant subject to the changes in the industry. The pokerhouses will ensure loyalty by the bulk of their customers with frequent flier points.

The industry is likely to continue to find ways to extract EV from the better players (for itself), eventually there will be "layoffs" -- many of the better players will not be able to maintain substantial income from playing online.

These are the golden years of poker, and I wouldn't be surprised if one day we said "remember the good old days when the payout structure was only 20% of the field".

My sense is that most players are addicted and insensitive to flatter payout structures even though they will do better (most players).

This is of course a bad sign for poker professionals, and illustrates how industry change can affect you, as opposed to your ability to flip cards.

Probably a good idea to keep that day job.
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]