Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which picture do you like more?
Picture 2 (bottom) 79 43.17%
Picture 1 (top) 104 56.83%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: arrogant and sad

hi mason, my response has nothing to do with tv hype. i agree with you that it was written for nl side games, and that they were almost nonexistent. however, most readers did not know the chapter doyal brunson wrote was written for cash games. and with the lack of nl tournament books, almost all nl tournament players read it, and incorporated parts form the book into their games. more importantly, the aggressive play that was advocated in the nl chapter doyal wrote, has now become the standard for many of todays games (beyond nl). the book is not good, however it was a very important book for poker when it was written, and the nl chapter is both what sold the book and changed the poker landscape. again, especially advocating such aggressive play.
best,
amulet
Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Vote For Your Favorite All-Time Poker Author

Are you including in the over-rated comment the chapter in SSI on high low split? Isn't that chapter all you really need to know about that game? And who wrote that chapter?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have not studied anything written by Doyle Brunson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would you shut yourself off from a source of information that many pros regard as essential? And didn't you say that SS has too many mistakes to be recommended? Or do you mean to say that you've read SS and/or SS2, but haven't incorporated anything Doyle has written into your game?

Not meaning to sound accusatory or anything - I'm just confused by what you just said here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Super/System, but only skimmed the redux. I make no claims about Doyle, but I feel that he, personally as an author, has added almost nothing of value to the body of poker strategy literature. To be clear, I don't consider including articles written by others in his book to add value.
tut tut..
this seems like a lack of RESPECT!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Best author:

BisonBison

Hold'em poker for handsome players

A classic.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:11 AM

Sklansky, plain and simple. Just about everything this man has written has purt near blown my mind. It has gotten to the point that I will blindly buy any new book he will release in the future, that is about poker.

My first Sklansky book was TPFAP, which I read a week before my first live tournament. I played two tournaments that night and took 2nd in the first one, and 1st in the second one. All thoughout the evening, I kept thinking things like, "I remember this, that is the 'Gap Concept'", or, "Hey, I should bully people around on the bubble." or, "I shouldn't invest all my chips in a coinflip situation at this point of the tournament, and I'll pick a better spot." The man's a genius. Plain and simple.

Rusty G.