Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 11:13 AM

Default AJ hand

1/2 NL at Foxwoods. In this hand villian is a decent player not too tricky.

Hero is UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and limps in. MP1 raises to $15 2 callers, I call completing action. Flop comes Jack high rags rainbow. I lead out $25, Raiser calls all fold.

Turn is a blank, I fire out $50 villian thinks a second and calls.

River is a Q I check and there is no way I put another $$$ into the pot.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: AJ hand

This doesnt look good.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03 PM

What do you put villain on that the Q is a scare card? JQ? If you put him on an overpair, which seems far more likely than JQ, you should have been done with the hand after the flop. Most likely, you're up against another AJ for a split pot, since QQ, KK, AA probably would have raised post-flop, right?

If you're planning on folding because a scare card hits the river you're playing weak/tight.

Oh, and fold pre-flop. You're out of position and easily dominated.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:28 PM

The Q could have been a 2 that's not the worry. When he called the turn I knew he had an overpair. He should have raised post-flop but he was passive all night.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Calling raises with hands like this out of position is what gets you in these situations.

Theres no right answer most times. Thats what makes it a marginal situation. Fold preflop. And I dont me to the raise, I mean FOLD preflop.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:46 PM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.

Against bad players, I like playing supertight and superaggressive.

1.) I don't like your PF limp or your call of the raise. If you're playing the hand and are the first to enter the pot in NL, raise. If you don't wanna raise, fold.

2.) I like your flop bet, but you're betting to end the hand.

3.) He's called you on the flop. I think you're next move is bet, check-smallcall, or check/fold. I think your move is potbet, all in, or check/fold. You need to bet at least $75 or check/fold. If I felt as if I had the best hand, I'm moving in here.

4.) The pot isn't much smaller than your stack or what you'll have to call if he pushes into you on the river. Push in. Your check is weak. If you're in trouble, you put yourself in this trouble with your preflop play, reap the rewards or the punishment of this hand. The Queen isn't a scare card and if he had trips, I think he raises on the turn. If he had an overpair, I think he raises on the flop.

What bad players do well is that they get a lot of money in the middle with overpairs on the flop. With trips, they slowplay the flop and pounce on the turn with trips after their opponent leads into them for the second time feeling that they've got him sucked in.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:06 PM

River is a Q I check and there is no way I put another $$$ into the pot

Just place this statement right after solid villain raises to 15...and you played this hand well. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2005, 10:43 PM

I see where you're coming from, zaxx. I hate the PF call.

I called Villian bad only because I don't like his calls on the flop and turn. His play screams of TT or AK to me. With AK, he'll fold to Hero on the river. With TT, he might put you on a bluff and call.

I don't see an AQ, KQ, QJ, or trips here, but I don't like the check because he's starting to question his hand a decent opponent will see this and Hero has to face a $100 or more bet here. What now? I'd say call in that case, but avoid it with a big bet and take the bull by the horns with the best hand.

The check will make Villian think that you have a bad pair or AK and he'll think that he can pick you off and he will, I think.

What happened? I am curious.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: AJ hand Results

I check, villian checks behind and tables KK.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Re: AJ hand Results

WOW!

You never should've seen a flop.

But, as I said, you saw the flop and you hit a J high flop. If you're gonna play this hand and not be aggressive with a J high flop, DON'T PLAY THE DAMN HAND!!!!!!!

Why is AK viewed as the hand that it is viewed as? Because you can hit either card and feel confident being aggressive with it.

AQ and AJ aren't of a lower rank because people who read poker books and people in this forum are pompous. It's because there are too many hard questions to answer.

If I played this hand preflop, it would've been ONLY because I thought my J was good WITH the Ace and I would've played the same way that you did feeling as I would if I chose to play the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fold it preflop and this thread never exists. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]