Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Need help writing my own Poker Tracker

I am a Mac-based player who plays $1/$2 at pokerroom.com because it can be played without a download and runs on my hardware. Poker Tracker doesn't and it doesn't support pokerroom.com. I'm a very analytical player who has pretty much completely digested the Lee Jones book and the Hilger book. I have read Sklansky's HPAP, but can't claim to have digested it yet. It often seems to be talking about a very different world than mine! After only about 40 hours of play, I'm running +4.6 BB/hr with a STD of about 9. If you took out the first session where I was a complete idiot, I have no session with a loss of more than 1 BB/hr, so I've been lucky and my opponants have been amazingly stupid. This site is quite a bit smaller than others, so it seems to me that effective information on them is very important because I see the same ones so often.

I have written software to download and process the hand histories for all the hands of mine I can find (around 2,000 at the moment). I currently track VP$IP and PFR% and win/loss for everyone I see. For myself, I track $ for each starting pair, $ based on what flopped (set/trips/2 overcards/nothing, etc) and $ based on position. The data has been quite helpful and has allowed me to recognize that I was overplaying 2 overcards and that I needed to tighten up on the SB. Data by opening pair is obviously not yet reliable, since I don't have enough data.

What information does pokertracker provide you about players to make better decisions post-flop? It seems to me I'd like to try to ID those players who are calling stations or are weak enough to get chased off hands. Knowing those lunatics who raise with nothing would be handy too, although I usually figure them out pretty quickly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know pokertracker has won at showdown and won when saw flop, but I'm not sure these capture what I want to know, although I guess it can be inferred. It seems like % of turn/river bets/raises called and especially called when losing would be helpful.

I already can click on the players name to see the basic statistics, and then click again to see the details of each hand. To be honest, I'd guess 90% of my profit just comes from waiting for really solid hands and then betting the hell out of them. However, I have found tendencies in some of the "regulars" that allow me to extract the extra BB here and there from them and some of the otherwise good players who will fold under pressure with what I believe are better hands then me. I've also learned which players always raise their flush draws on semi-bluffs, which is very useful. I've been able to punish those pretty well.

Anyhow, what does pokertracker tell you that you really like? What could you imagine it doing that it does not? I have read all the threads I could find on the topic and hope that is a different enough angle that it doesn't bore the regulars
Old 04-06-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Need help writing my own Poker Tracker

go to the pokertracker web site and DL the help files, these should tell you everything poker tracker can do
Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Need help writing my own Poker Tracker

Excellent suggestion, I didn't know that they had them online. I do still have the question of which data points you wish it had that it does not or which ones your find particularly useful.