Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 10-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Adde Adde is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sweden
Default Re: Thank you for disconnecting me, PartyPoker!

Same thing happened to me to. My third table lost connection and never came back, thou i was playin fine on the other two at the same time, very weird...

They run different tables on different servers, so most likely the server for the third table was having network congestion or something.

Adde
Old 10-07-2004, 08:58 AM
BlueBear BlueBear is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sydney, Australia

Whatever cards came out is irrelevant and that's the last thing you should be thinking about.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:50 AM
teddyFBI teddyFBI is offline
Member

[ QUOTE ]

This actually has a nice side effect. Since the community cards would not have been the same if you had called preflop, you cannot feel bad for folding even if the flop should hit your mucked cards hard. This concept should help you concentrate on playing well instead of relying on luck.

Very well put, I think, and something I think people here should think about for a few moments if they haven't done so already. I tried to explain this to a friend of mine once when his mucked pair hit a set, and he thought I was just giving him the standard "don't stress over your mucked hand" advice. But online, as was pointed out here, there's actually a complex overlay to that because if it's true that each card dealt is randomly generated, then -- unlike in a real card game where the next card is predetermined (and hence one could say "look, I would have hit my set), online it's much easier to ignore whatever cards come, secure in the knowledge that the outcome might have been different had I called instead of folded.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:13 AM
fnord_too fnord_too is offline
Senior Member

Location: Norfolk, VA

[ QUOTE ]

Aside: Did I really save $200? That is, does PartyPoker set the order of the deck at the start of the hand and leave it as such, or does it constantly shuffle the remaining cards? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, wasn't there a case where two consecutive hands were EXACTLY the same (hole cards and boards) on party? Their explanation was that the RNG happened to get seeded with the same number twice in a row or something like that (which makes sense to me.) Point is, if that is the case, they shuffle the deck before cards are dealt, and probably reseed before each suffle.

I already looked up one article to link today, maybe someone with ambition will track this one down.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:28 AM
GrannyMae GrannyMae is offline
Senior Member

Actually, wasn't there a case where two consecutive hands were EXACTLY the same (hole cards and boards) on party? Their explanation was that the RNG happened to get seeded with the same number twice in a row or something like that (which makes sense to me.) Point is, if that is the case, they shuffle the deck before cards are dealt, and probably reseed before each suffle.

I already looked up one article to link today, maybe someone with ambition will track this one down

i am able to tell you that this is all true because i was in the SnG. this was from the 1st or 2nd day they offered PPM sat's, and it took 3 hours to fill a tourney. i got more letters of apology from linda johnson (who was the main spokesperson at the time) and other programmers that my inbox filled up fast. had they not reacted quickly and decisively, this would not have been good for their early reputation. it was already NOT good for their reputation because it was dissected at rgp for weeks, but obviously they moved past it.

the repeat hand happened, we went crazy in chat, then the tourney suddenly ended. they had live monitor/floor on this tourney (linda herself).

10 minutes later we all got our $22 refunded, plus 1 freerolls for another tourney (cheapass mofos).

many here that know me will know my handle in these. i would rather not be identified because i don't want to tie anyones loose ends together on other people's notes and databases.

full thread can be found HERE

this is top post only

Message 1 in thread
From: yoyojemojo (j-vincent@adfa.edu.au)
Subject: IDENTICAL HANDS on Party Poker - sorry Mike &amp; Linda but people should be able to hear about it

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: 2001-08-12 21:52:41 PST

The following two hands occurred on a $22 buy-in qualifying tourney on Party
Poker a couple of weeks ago. As you can see the hands are absolutely
identical....all 25 cards the same, in the same order.

What are the odds of this happening, well refer to the post a week ago on
which Sklansky and the Baron had a bit of debate about maths, shame and some
other boring stuff. I can't remember if it was 1000 trillion, or 100
trillion, but anyway some amazing number.

What does this mean then? Well, I leave it to you to discuss.

THE FIRST OCCURRENCE:

***** Hand History for Game 92442 *****
15/30 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (Tournament #13001) - Thu Aug 02 04:50:21 EDT
2001
Table PartyPokerMillion 4 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Proulx (770)
Seat 2: soulsearchin (710)
Seat 3: Blinds (605)
Seat 4: Clubette (455)
Seat 5: Spike_tt (1080)
Seat 6: deshane (695)
Seat 7: Shadow007 (695)
Seat 8: chowlee (770)
Seat 9: Bobby_B (845)
Seat 10: Strikis (1375)
Blinds posts small blind (10)
Clubette posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Strikis [ 9h, 9d ]
Spike_tt folds.
deshane calls (15)
Shadow007 calls (15)
chowlee folds.
Bobby_B folds.Strikis raises (30)
Proulx calls (30)
soulsearchin folds.
Blinds calls (20)
Clubette folds.
deshane calls (15)
Shadow007 calls (15)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8d, 5d, 7d ]
Bobby_B: this is going to be a looong tourney
Blinds bets (15)
deshane raises (30)
Shadow007 folds.
Strikis calls (30)
Proulx raises (45)
Blinds calls (30)
deshane calls (15)
Strikis calls (15)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3d ]
Blinds checks.

deshane checks.
Strikis checks.
Proulx bets (30)
Blinds calls (30)
deshane calls (30)
Strikis calls (30)
** Dealing River ** : [ 7h ]
Blinds checks.
deshane checks.
Strikis checks.
Proulx bets (30)
Blinds calls (30)
deshane raises (60)
Strikis folds.
Proulx folds.
deshane shows a full house, Sevens full of fives
Blinds mucks
** Summary **
deshane wins 585 chips from the main pot with a full house, Sevens full of
fives.

THE SECOND OCCURRENCE:

***** Hand History for Game 92484 *****
30/60 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (Tournament #13001) - Thu Aug 02 05:07:00 EDT
2001
Table PartyPokerMillion 4 (Real Money) -- Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Proulx (905)
Seat 2: soulsearchin (470)
Seat 3: Blinds (410)
Seat 4: Clubette (755)
Seat 5: Spike_tt (1125)
Seat 6: deshane (1055)Seat 7: Shadow007 (320)
Seat 8: chowlee (545)
Seat 9: Bobby_B (800)
Seat 10: Strikis (1615)
Strikis posts small blind (15)
Proulx posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Strikis [ 9h, 9d ]
soulsearchin folds.
Bobby_B: $10 bounty for blinds
deshane: come on
Blinds folds.
Clubette calls (30)
Spike_tt folds.
deshane calls (30)
Shadow007 calls (30)
chowlee calls (30)
Bobby_B folds.
Strikis calls (15)
Proulx checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8d, 5d, 7d ]
Strikis checks.
Proulx bets (30)
Clubette calls (30)
deshane raises (60)
Shadow007 folds.
chowlee folds.
Strikis calls (60)
Proulx calls (30)
Clubette calls (30)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3d ]
Strikis checks.
Proulx checks.
Clubette checks.
deshane checks.
** Dealing River ** : [ 7h ]
Strikis checks.
Proulx checks.
Clubette bets (60)
deshane raises (120)
Strikis: deshane = fulldhouse 5 over ! 7
Strikis folds.
Proulx folds.
Clubette raises (120)
deshane raises (120)
Clubette calls (60)
deshane shows a full house, Sevens full of fives
Clubette mucks
** Summary **
deshane wins 900 chips from the main pot with a full house, Sevens full of
fives.

Party Poker rang us and gave us their explanation. If anyone is interested,
let me know and I will pass on what they told me on the phone. Mike's story
first hand......

Somehow I have a tiny little feeling that either Mike or Linda might post a
little something here anyway.

Google Home - Advertising Programs - Business Solutions - About Google
Old 10-07-2004, 01:36 PM
sammy_g sammy_g is offline
Junior Member

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, wasn't there a case where two consecutive hands were EXACTLY the same (hole cards and boards) on party? Their explanation was that the RNG happened to get seeded with the same number twice in a row or something like that (which makes sense to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is the case, they have serious problems with their shuffle algorithm. There should be 52! permutations of a shuffeld deck. If one seed produces the exact same shuffle each time and the largest RNG seed is less than 52!, some shuffles are not possible.

I think that Paradise and UB and Stars do continuous shuffles. I'm not sure about the Party skins. It would not surprise me if they didn't.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:05 PM
tripdad tripdad is offline
Senior Member

Location: east central indiana

Actually, wasn't there a case where two consecutive hands were EXACTLY the same (hole cards and boards) on party? Their explanation was that the RNG happened to get seeded with the same number twice in a row or something like that (which makes sense to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is the case, they have serious problems with their shuffle algorithm. There should be 52! permutations of a shuffeld deck. If one seed produces the exact same shuffle each time and the largest RNG seed is less than 52!, some shuffles are not possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly the reason pattern maps are not only possible, but likely to be in use as we speak.

cheers!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Beavis68 Beavis68 is offline
Senior Member

Location: AZ

According to everything I have read, Party is one of the few sites that actually creates a fixed deck at the beginning of the hand.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Homer Homer is offline
Senior Member

Thank god for PartyPoker's mediocre software.

Wrong.

Aside: Did I really save $200? That is, does PartyPoker set the order of the deck at the start of the hand and leave it as such, or does it constantly shuffle the remaining cards? Thanks.

It is irrelevant. You should be pissed off about missing out on a hugely +EV situation. On average, every time you get $100 in as a 4:1 favorite, you'll win $60 [(4*$100 - 1*$100)/5]. Party cost you $60.

-- Homer
Old 10-07-2004, 04:35 PM
meow_meow meow_meow is offline
Senior Member

Actually, wasn't there a case where two consecutive hands were EXACTLY the same (hole cards and boards) on party? Their explanation was that the RNG happened to get seeded with the same number twice in a row or something like that (which makes sense to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is the case, they have serious problems with their shuffle algorithm. There should be 52! permutations of a shuffeld deck. If one seed produces the exact same shuffle each time and the largest RNG seed is less than 52!, some shuffles are not possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly the reason pattern maps are not only possible, but likely to be in use as we speak.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me that this is some kind of subtle sarcasm...