Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Is it ok to take advantage of the Party rebuy bug?

As most of you are probably aware, there's a serious bug with PartyPoker's R+A tournaments. As with other such tournaments, you're only allowed to rebuy if you're at or below your starting chip count (1,000). However, the way they have (inadvertantly) set it up is that you can rebuy literally any time your stack is less than 1,000. In other words, you can have 1,500, go all-in, then rebuy while the hand is still in progress. If you steal the blinds with that play, you'd then have 2,500 + the blinds.

Some players do this repeatedly just to build up a huge stack. One player at my table last night did it about 15 times, which led to some accusations of cheating.

So, two questions: Is this tactic kosher? To what extent is it a good strategy?

Regarding the first question, I'm inclined to say that it's an ethically shady practice. It's pretty clear that the tournaments were not set up with this in mind, so it's not a matter or utilizing a recognized tactic, but of cheating the rules that PartyPoker is too incompetent to enforce. Further, many (if not most) of the players are not aware that they (or you) can do this; in effect, they agreed to sit down with you under false pretenses if you're playing this way.

As to the second question, I'm genuinely curious. It's to a good player's advantage to have a large stack, of course, but at some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in. The player at my table who did about 15 rebuys would have had to come in 9th out of 380 to turn a profit (he actually finished out of the money). The practice also gives a great opportunity to observant players to pick off what are basically bluffs.

Of course, the two questions aren't completely unrelated. The rebuyers are juicing the pot, and if it's -EV for them to do so, it's not quite as wrong as it might otherwise be (no harm, no foul).

Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Is it ok to take advantage of the Party rebuy bug?

This topic is semi covered in TPFAP ... each chip you get is worth less than the previous, so every add on they make that is over the average stack in the tourney is -EV for them, I say let them go nuts and spend 50 buyins... theyll only profit marginally if they win the whole thing, and often theyll go bust winning less than they paid