Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Playing too less hands in Tournament?

hi, iam new here
I read Harrington's Book on hold Em, i wasnt a totally newcomer before,had some success already before(some money places in tournaments).But after reading the book, i dont think iam really better, sure iam checking now odds everytime and playing best Hands.However,in Nitro, or fast games i have no chance at winning,iam out immediately as long as the blinds are going up in a time <8Mins, perfect for me is 12min-15min.But even there,i face this problem and i just dont know what i could do about it, as long as i cant at least double or trip up in the beginning

Any Advices?
maybe i should try some steals late position,but i just cant put in like 400(blinds 100) with Kx or Qx with blinds still behind me.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Playing too less hands in Tournament?

Post hands you have questions about. Its hard to give advice when we really don't know how you play.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post hands you have questions about. Its hard to give advice when we really don't know how you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said he doesnt like to steal blinds with the blinds still left to act behind him
Old 12-22-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he said he doesnt like to steal blinds with the blinds still left to act behind him

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Post hands!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:45 PM

ok,all high pairs AA ,KK ,QQ ,JJ,TT....allways,all position,trying to vary check/raise
AK suited/unsuited
AQ suited/unsuited(not raising with these..not often)
AJ/AT late position,mainly suited,if blinds are low to see cheap flop
same for low pairs,as long as some entered the pot(calls) and i get good odds,like 6 to 1 or better
and sometimes i try to limp in with KQ,KJ suited
but everything under AK(those cards above) in middle to lateposition, not to steal, but to see the flop
Old 12-22-2005, 02:49 PM

I have recently read Vol. 1 of Harrington's Book (Vol.2 on the way) and I think it's top notch! Anyways, mayyyybe you should start playing regular SNG where the blinds go up after a certain amount of hands or a time period greater than 8 min. And if you can't steal any blinds, you're gonna lose over time. Betting when you have nothing keeps you alive while you wait for your winning hands. If someone raises you ... generally fold. Come on, man! You read Harrington! How did you do on the quizes? Perhaps you should reread. Conservative play is all well and good, but not scared play. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:53 PM

i was almost perfect at his quizes...sure i missed 1 or 2,but generally i did everything right,u know when he wrote into the answer too small/great raise,should have been 120/150,i would have done the same.
and with which hands do you try to steal?and which positions
and its still hard to risk that money..i mean lets say first rounds with 800 starting money..when you try to steal with 100 you cant win alot and if someone calls/reraises you,you lost more than 10%of your chips, and well,once the blinds go up,you have to risk even more
Old 12-22-2005, 02:59 PM

well, you need to learn to blind steal. With blinds of 50/100, you don't need 400 for a blind steal. Personally, I've changed my opening raise to 2.5x bb (so 250 here). It works fine for steals and saves me a few cheaps. I don't see how you can survive in multis without stealing some blinds. If its folded around to you in CO or button, stealing with Qx Kx is usually the correct move (assuming the blinds are tight enough to fold).
Old 12-22-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok,all high pairs AA ,KK ,QQ ,JJ,TT....allways,all position,trying to vary check/raise
AK suited/unsuited
AQ suited/unsuited(not raising with these..not often)
AJ/AT late position,mainly suited,if blinds are low to see cheap flop
same for low pairs,as long as some entered the pot(calls) and i get good odds,like 6 to 1 or better
and sometimes i try to limp in with KQ,KJ suited
but everything under AK(those cards above) in middle to lateposition, not to steal, but to see the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

what they mean by posting hands is like this (its called a hand history, every time you play a hand online it is automatically generated, if it is brick & mortar tourny you may have to guesstimate the hand history a bit). This hand history was copied and pasted straight from snoopdawg's post:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed)Buy in $5 + .5
converter

UTG+1 (t3824)
MP1 (t5098)
MP2 (t1190)
Hero (t1743)
Button (t1660)
SB (t4405)
BB (t4815)
UTG (t1860)

None of these players are very good (they'd play this worse than I would). Villian is the kind of player you'd find in a lake.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9c, Ac.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t150, 2 folds, Hero raises to t450, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls t300.

Flop: (t1125) 5h, 6c, 5d (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t150, UTG+1 calls t150.

Turn: (t1425) 7s (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1425) 8c (2 players)
UTG+1 bets t150, Hero raises to t600, UTG+1 raises to t3224, Hero calls t543 (All-In).

Final Pot: t5792
Old 12-22-2005, 04:08 PM

Read through the sticky links at the top of the forum, particularly this post.

Regards,
Woodguy