Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 11:09 AM

Default LAP River Play

Villain is 72/32/0.8 and a payoff machine.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>

Good?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: LAP River Play

I don't like the river 3bet.
These guys often wait for the river to raise their flopped trips.
You are either splitting, folding a bluff or losing to the bigger fullhouse and I don't think he has a flush here.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 AM

Villain is too passive. The board is scary but he raises anyways. Its almost never a bluff (a 3bet wont do any good then anyways) so you are either splitting (then he will call your 3bet) or you are beat (then he will cap). He would be very stupid to raise the flush here so I dont see the 3bet accomplishing anything at all. There is no value and you wont fold a better or the same hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Villian is way to passive to 3-bet this river. You are either splitting or losing to a King. As passive as he is, I'd say he's got K-bad kicker and now knows he's got you on the river. I'd almost never put him on the flush, so call is my plan.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 PM

call, this is usually a King. Random bluffs won't pay you off unless he has ace-high with which he would have almost always called the river, rather than raise. If you're 3betting you can't fold to a cap either. Big Time Spewage (BTS).
Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 PM

Captain weenie says: just call.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Agree - river 3bet is too much. Raise could be a &lt;*insert slang for really stupidly played*&gt; flush, but against an unknown dummy, it's &lt;10% of the time (even against a [censored] known to do this you're at least as likely looking at a K.)
Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 PM

What's the 0.8PFA supposed to be raising with that you beat? A six? Value bet is good, but just call the raise.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:39 PM

This is interesting because as the person who was playing with him, I felt I was either chopping or winning, not chopping or losing. The guy is a chronic donker or check caller OOP and a chronic caller or honest raiser in position. One thing that is definitely overlooked when reading a post as opposed to playing a hand is the action on earlier streets.

This guy was the flop aggressor and stopped after I raised, then continued to call down until the river. For this type of player, that kind of play is not indicative of flopped trips. The later streets, yes, but the flop, no. Players like this do not get tricky on several different streets. When he just called the flop raise after betting and just called the turn bet on a 3 flush board, it's very obvious that he doesn't have trips, no?

One of the biggest reasons we make 2.5 - 2.75 bb/hand with AA (and others don't) is because we don't play pocket aces nearly as bad as this guy did.