Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 PM

Default turn spot

about 6 handed online. Haven't been playing long and nothing has happened worth noting so far.

Okish player limps utg, 32/17/2 guy I don't know much about raises in the CO (and for those that don't know what those numbers mean they mean he's probably decent enough but mb a little too loose esp considering he raises 'only' 17% of the time. Postflop he's probably about right aggressiveness wise...not that he doesn't play hands wrong, he could, I don't know.)

I call in the bb with A7d (originally wrote A7s...meant A7d)

Flop comes A97 with 1 diamond. I c/r, limper folds, he 3 bets I cap. Turn is a 2 of diamonds. I bet, he raises. 3 bet? call? (folding isn't an option) What if a diamond comes on the river..I would think go for a bet 3 bet in case he's raising for a free showdown. 3 bet for value esp considering I have diamonds as a back door if he's got A9 or a set? What if I didn't have diamonds?

Not interesting since this kind of crap doesn't come up that much and it's close anyhow or it's way obvious?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: turn spot

"32/17/2 guy" where's he sittin?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"32/17/2 guy" where's he sittin?

[/ QUOTE ]

oops. CO. Fixed. thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 PM

I 3 bet pretty quick here, as it looks like fastplaying has gotten you exactly the excessive action you were looking for.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 PM

I would 3 bet here, and call down if he caps.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 PM

i'd 3bet, and be perfectly happy with him folding his two or three outer. or capping his hand against which i have 9-11 outs. lead the river on any non-pair diamond. maybe bet/call an A?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 PM

I do think its close between 3 betting the turn or just calling the raise. But since your opponent is not known to be overaggressive postflop. I would just call the turn raise. You, checkraised and capped the flop out of position, and yet hes still raising this turn. I would just call here whether I had a diamond draw or not.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 PM

this is a clear 3 bet. this guy will have AK more than often enough (and you will get paid off) for you to show a profit here.

the tough question is if he 4 bets the turn. but most players with his sort of stats (meaning they dont fully understand the game) slowplay a set a little until the turn so you dont need to worry about that too much.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:25 PM

how do you play AK if you were him. your real worries are A9 and 99. id definately 3bet the turn and call if 4bet.

on the river if you boat up with the Aces over 7s id go for the bet/3bet. but if you boat up with the 7s over aces then id bet/call it. otherwise check call w/o improvement after you call turn 4bet

Barron
Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 PM

i think what this thread needs is some math to make us all feel good about our instinct that this is very close. if he's behind, he may have 1-6 outs, with 5 or 6 being most likely. so by just calling we are giving him probably around 1.5 bets in free expectation (5/44*13). if we are behind and he caps, we still have at least 8 outs, so we are giving up at most 1.6 bets (8/44*2).

Pretty, pretty close. pretty close. i think the the 3bet is correct though because 1. he may not cap and 2. raising is more fun. 3. (maybe most importantly) all things being equal, in OOP situations it's probably good to play hands hard as much as possible, to at least make one's opponent feel a little less comfortable with using his position in the future. IMO, metagame means a lot here.