Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-17-2005, 02:57 AM

Default 2nd nut low and double belly buster against a weak bettor

MetroMeg in this hand is a loose-weak-passive, plays 70% of all hands but never really takes control postflop. I'm never quite sure what to make of these minimum or smallish bets.

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...mp;hand=191595

Should I have popped this turn? I really feel like I played this hand too passively.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: 2nd nut low and double belly buster against a weak bettor

I prefer not to raise this one pre-flop. You certainly have a playable hand along with the button, so I don't think there's anything wrong with raising. Just be careful--you're going to find yourself in a lot of marginal situations trying to figure out how to best play with a 2nd nut hand for the low. Some players excel in those situations; Most struggle with them.

Calling the flop is okay since the price is right and there's a lot of cards you can pick up that either improve your hand or give you a backdoor draw.

Now that it's heads-up on the turn, I think you should at least consider semi-bluff raising, especially if you feel there's a chance villain might fold. The villain obviously doesn't like his hand very much, and he is probably just weak betting with some kind of draw. If he calls, you still have outs and can probably take a free showdown regardless if he is as passive as you say.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:58 PM

I would think about just folding the flop. You raised preflop and your opponent still bet into you. I dont see much chance of winning a big pot. Why bother?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:59 PM

River fold makes me want to throw up.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think about just folding the flop. You raised preflop and your opponent still bet into you. I dont see much chance of winning a big pot. Why bother?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero is getting about 6.5:1 to see another card. Villain bet $1 into a $5.4 pot. That's a sign of weakness, not strength. For hero's hand, a 2 will give hero the nut-low and a 6 gives hero a straight with the 2nd nut low. Add the backdoor draws that hero picks up from any club, king, or queen and pealing another card seems pretty standard to me.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you usually vomit when you fold ace high?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...care to explain why? I have nothing, in case you didn't notice.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Tough hand.

I agree it's worthwhile for such a small price to see the turn.

The question as you ask, should you pop it--or should you fold? Or call as you did?

You have nothing really except two gutshot draws and a low draw. So there's an argument for calling the turn and hoping you hit something. I dislike raising the turn. You don't want to be raised off your draws. Possibly if they hit, you may win a large pot with implied odds. They don't hit and you fold (correctly). I can tell you think that it was sucky and perhaps a more aggressive approach on the turn might have won it. Perhaps. But for the reasons I gave above I think you're in a pretty good situation--Villain is betting a small amount and not charging you for your draws. If you raise, he may come over the top. Or he probably will call and it just cost you more for your draws. You don't even get a free showdown since you have no high. I think you should look at it as you'll either lose a small pot (the probable situation if your draws dont hit), or possibly win a large one. You lost a small pot. But I think you played it right.