Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 10-25-2005, 11:44 AM

Default anti poker tracker

Everybody shares there databases everybody is gonna have millions of hands on everybody. I think the sites should ban all tracking software. Its not real poker in my oppinion when you dont have to pay any attention to the play and just read a number on the screen. As a player that has never used it and taken extensive notes on players and just found out there were such programs I FEEL CHEATED.
rant over
Old 10-25-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: anti poker tracker

Welcome to 21st century.
Enjoy!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody shares there databases everybody is gonna have millions of hands on everybody. I think the sites should ban all tracking software. Its not real poker in my oppinion when you dont have to pay any attention to the play and just read a number on the screen. As a player that has never used it and taken extensive notes on players and just found out there were such programs I FEEL CHEATED.
rant over

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can understand how you feel in that sense. I would like to make an important point, however. If the sites were to ban software like pokertracker, it would only cut down on the number of people using the software. In other words, many people would break the Terms & Conditions of the site and find a workaround from the sites' monitoring for such programs. People have already figured out simple ways to do it using a second PC. This would mean that the playing field would be even more unlevel. Right now, anyone who cares enough to improve thier poker game will find out about PokerTracker is short order and go buy it. This puts them on a level playing field. If the site's ban PokerTracker, the playing field will always be unlevel unless that player chooses to break the terms and conditions of the site. That means that honest players lose ground. Is that the way that you would prefer it?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 PM

Well fortunately for you more people abuse and misuse the stats than anyone who truly gets much value out of them. They are highly overrated and oftentimes misunderstood. You aren't missing much, but I think it would be helpful to your development to at least see what's out there, then you'd have a more rationale base for your argument.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 PM

This is just stupid. Feel cheated. Whatever.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 PM

They don't need to ban tracking software. They can modify the poker software to make tracking more difficult while still allowing players to track their own data.

List from easy to not so hard.

1. Provide players the option to sit at a table with an anonymous handle .
1a. Provide history data containing the players actual handle.

2. History data doesn't need to contain the name of the other players in the hand.

3. History data should only be accessible to players actually in the hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:49 PM

Most people who use PT for opponent info use it so poorly they might as well have no info at all.

Feel glad about that.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 PM

Sorry, but I feel this point is awful. I'm not anti-poker tracker, but the argument that you give could also be said about bots and I think almost everyone would agree that they should be banned.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM

I've been using PT for about 3 months now and here is my opinion on it. Sure, it can help if you don't feel like paying attention too closely if you are multi tabling or talking on the phone or something. But to be honest, many players have very similar standard stats and to get a read on them, you need to pay attention (are they check raising often, do they check the flop, bet the turn with strong hands, etc, the stats don't tell you any of this). What I find it most useful for is after a session, I spend 20 minutes reviewing hands and looking at my stats and trying to see where I could play a hand better.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rant over

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD