[ QUOTE ]
Godot

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatcha waiting for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long story...

[/ QUOTE ]I'll wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll distill it like this...it's a french play about waiting for hope that tomorrow will be better. After, if things are going to get better, what's the point, right?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Were you once lazy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Godot

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatcha waiting for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long story...

[/ QUOTE ]I'll wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll distill it like this...it's a french play about waiting for hope that tomorrow will be better. After, if things are going to get better, what's the point, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, skimmed it. I read your OP, so I figured you're hoping tomorrow brings something that's lacking today. Do you know what it is that you hope tomorrow brings? Cuz I don't remember the characters in the book ever knowing what they were waiting for, nor did it ever arrive (don't be discouraged).
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 AM

I don't doubt your IQ at all, you seem intelligent from what I've read in your posts.

Times in life when I've been lazy I haven't thought things through. If you're intelligent and think through your goals, taking action is incredibly easy. Just figure out what you want and think about how to get it until you have a robust working model. For example:

>You want to get better at poker and move up a level:

Why?
- Because it's more fun, you have a better quality of life, can buy more things or have more savings, you're making progress as a player, you encounter more interesting people, and more interesting situations. You can blow some money when you feel like it. A night out at a club will be more fun. You can give money to your parents/family or important charity. The number of motivating reasons is only limited by your imagination.

What are some proven ways of getting better?
- Reviewing hands, doing exercises in books, writing out analyses of your play after each session.

How much time will it take?
- Break it down into so little each day/session it's no burden at all and no great change from the established order of things.

What other requirements are there for this to succeed?
- Bankroll, new monitor, etc.

What are the things that hold me back?
- X,Y
What system can I put in place for avoiding/managing X,Y that will work for me?

How do you get up the motivation to do it?
-You keep thinking about WHY you're doing it. Realistically think about what will happen if you don't do it. Compare the two alternatives. No matter how lazy you are 'why' will keep you on the straight and narrow.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:59 AM

I have no practical advice other than to say you have to develop the discipline to force yourself to put in effort because:

success = ability * effort (in the presence of opportunity)

If effort = 0 then even if ability = infinity, success will still = 0.

Opportunity is, of course, not always within your control (and recognizing opportunity is part of ability), but if you are considering poker as an opportunity, then you are certainly in the presence of it.

I know a few people who fit the description of "bright but lazy" and what I've noticed is that as they get older (mid 30s and up) they get so angry and frustrated at seeing "less bright" people have more success that when this anger and frustration combine with their laziness an almost insurmountable wall gets created between them and success.

It's very depressing to watch, and I'm sure it is even more depressing to experience.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 AM

i wasn't attractive enough to get laid while sitting on my azz. also my hands got tired.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

People who are bright see life's possibilities (sex, money, friendship, experiences, travel, helping society), and then go out and achieve them.

[/ QUOTE ]

a rich lazy person can't do this why?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:20 PM

No answers? I am really lazy. I am the laziest person I know, and the laziest person that anyone who has met me knows. So I'd establish a precident if I suddenly became productive?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:00 PM

achievement is addictive, it feels good to set a goal and then reach it, and it's fun to set higher goals and shoot for them.

i've got to say, it's all well and good to have a pretty IQ score to throw around but if you never try anything difficult you never really know if you're capable of achieving anything. obviously, i don't know you so i don't want to come across as "accusing" you of anything, but I DO know a lot of people who felt they were bright, did nothing, and then looked around and said to themselves "where's my reward? i'm bright. where's my reward for being smart? this is unfair." do you feel this way?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 PM

here's the best advice you'll get--- GO WITH IT. BE LAZY UNTIL IT'S BORING, OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM. then you'll have a strong desire to live a more interesting life, and you'll be cured from the inside-- the only true way.

I did nothing until i was 28 yrs old while my friends slaved in college. now i control 2 companies. but i'm smart. if i wasn't smart i might be in trouble. then again i'd still recommend the same genuine-with-yourself approach.