Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Stacking Chips (reflect your style?)

In Mike Caro’s Book of Tells he states that a player who stacks his chips neatly will play a more conservative game and vice versa. I have found keeping my stack tidily arranged has helped my game by ensuring I don’t play “sloppy” and is paramount after a big win or bad beat. (ie. unnecessarily “throwing around” chips after a big win)

I am interested if others think of this when they play? Also, does anyone prefer a particular stacking method to another? Has this helped/hindered your game?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Stacking Chips (reflect your style?)

Hi elyk,

Although I have yet to read Caro's book, from my experience, he is pretty accurate on this type of read on an opponent.

Your question is oddly thought provoking. Can't say I have ever thought about how I play based on how I stack my chips. I really don't think that it will have any long-term effects on how your play. Either you know how to play tight or you don't.

What Caro is probably speaking about is your style of chip stacking is reflective on the type of personality that you have. If you are a gambler, a sort of recklessly wild person, you will not care about the neatness of your stack. For me, the thought of a messy stack pains me inside, it's just how I am. Because of my type of personality, where I normally display discipline and patience, I am able to play a tight, conservative game. I advise not thinking about HOW you stack your chips so much or how it affects your game.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 PM

I think that when I'm down, I try to make it look like I have more chips and vice versa. I think it keeps your opponents from noticing you because of your extremely large/small stack.

I tend to put them in nice stacks of 10 (or 20 if there are more chips involved), put them in "squares" (think 2x2x10). After I fill one of those up, I put one stack on top. Then I proceed to make a fifth and sixth stack next to the square, followed by a stack on top of those. It works for conserving space and stability, but that's just me. I'm intrested to see what other people think.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:35 PM

i know this is flawed logic and someone will point it out, but, i like to separate my buy in with my profit. it just lets me know how well i'm doing. i try not to let it affect my play though. i also don't think at the 3/6 limits anyone is going to pick up a tell implying that i'll be loose with profit and tight with buy in money. i think caro might have mentioned that. hopefully with more B&M experience i'll be able to construct large pyraminds...
Old 09-30-2005, 01:13 AM

I'm seen some ppl by in at a 1-3 spread with 1k all with $1 chips, he built a pyramid....always wanted to do this.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hopefully with more B&M experience i'll be able to construct large pyraminds...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should purchase Mason Malmuth's Gambling Theory and Other Topics, it features an extensive section on pyramid-building techniques. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 04:03 AM

I put the high value chips under my small value chips so it looks like I have less than I do. That way, all the people at the home games I play don't catch on to how much better I am than they are. They usually do anyway though, but continue to lose money to me regardless.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:00 AM

This particular tell was VERY accurate of me, so now I try to go out of my way to ensure my chips are semi-haphazardly stacked. Uneven stack heights, non-linear rows, and I now NEVER line up the bars on the edges of the chips anymore.

Every now and again I still catch myself "straightening up" my stack without even thinking about it, even though I have found that this is the most reliable broad spectrum tell that there is.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I now NEVER line up the bars on the edges of the chips anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing that is a waste of time; making sure they are all facing the same way is of much more importance.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i know this is flawed logic and someone will point it out, but, i like to separate my buy in with my profit. it just lets me know how well i'm doing. i try not to let it affect my play though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This won't affect YOUR play so much as it will tell others what you're willing to pay for. It's also a tell, because as soon as you dip into your profit stack, more likely than not you've got a better hand. I've found this to be a bad habit. There are more deceptive ways to stack chips so that YOU know how much you have, but for others it isn't as easy to guess what is going on with your stacks.