Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: making a profit

1) get rakeback
2) buy pokertracker
3) use gametime++ (or playerview)
4) datamine for a week (open max amount of tables and let PT observe them)
5) start a good buddylist with the stats in PT you gathered last week
6) practice good game selection
7) start multitabling. start with two, aim for four.
8) profit like hell. 2/4 with rakeback pays my mortgage and all of my bills (and when I'm running good, money for toys) if I play ~30hrs a week.

It's all quite mechanical and very much like playing a video game. Hell, I'm not even all that good of a poker player.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest only playing one table online. The reason is that because you can't see the other players, and they change so frequently, it is very important to pay close attension to betting habits and other note taking.

I play .25-.5 PL and average 40 bb/hr playing one table. The only time i will play a second is when i have a good awareness of my current table.

I can't speak for other players because they seem to advocate the use of multi table playing, but as for me, i tend to get into huge losing streaks when i'm playing two tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya, alot of players on here say they play 8 tables at a time. Thats insane. As soon as you make a decision on one table, another table is popping up, then two more! Time is ticking on each as you make your plays. I dont see how they read players and make good decisions, unless the computer does it for them [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 01:19 AM

I would say to start with one table just so you get the feel for the speed of the online game versus B&M. Shortly add a 2nd. Here is where you must decide if you can handle adding more.

When I first started multitabling, I found it like complete chaos. I currently 4 table (need a damn 2001FP) and when I'm switching tables and only have 1 or 2, it's amazing how slow everything feels.

But the biggest recommendation in this area I have to give is to follow everyone else and get a monitor that lets you multitable without overlap. IT's a world of difference. HOpe this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 04:47 AM

You should be playing poker to make correct decisions, not to make money. I think if you pay too much attention to the money instead of the strategy you don't win as much. your head isnt in the right place.

If you get impatient, multitable. I would jerk off in online poker's face if I couldn't multitable.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) get rakeback
2) buy pokertracker
3) use gametime++ (or playerview)
4) datamine for a week (open max amount of tables and let PT observe them)
5) start a good buddylist with the stats in PT you gathered last week
6) practice good game selection
7) start multitabling. start with two, aim for four.
8) profit like hell. 2/4 with rakeback pays my mortgage and all of my bills (and when I'm running good, money for toys) if I play ~30hrs a week.

It's all quite mechanical and very much like playing a video game. Hell, I'm not even all that good of a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

1,2,3 all good

4,5,6 should all be bonus whore

Datamining is worthless at limits under 3/6

Heck I had a guy that 20 tables 10/20 tell me EVERY table at Party is +EV. He uses no game selection methods while 20 tabling 10/20. Personally I think he is wrong and look for min 3 fish per table, which lately has been VERY easy to find at all levels. (However I do find tight tables too, right before I leave them)

Hunting Fish on my friends list - I used to do this but the games are so loose right now there is no need...

Multitabling should be done with caution, but is definitely worth it if you can IMPROVE your game while doing it. I see guys at 2/4 that have been there for years. (I saw them while OICing for a month after running REALLY bad) I can't believe they haven't moved up.

Short Term Goal should be to get to 5/10 IMO, as the rake is a sig % less

READ and POST on 2+2... I've been reading this site from day 1. If I could have read/played at same time (I have dial up) I know I'd be whipping BK at the 100/200 right now instead of grinding the 3/6 and 5/10. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Oh and protect your bankroll at all costs. If you move up a level, move back down before damaging your bankroll, this has been one of my costliest mistakes.