Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Were you once lazy?

I'm bright, and I'm chronically lazy. I suspect that there are others out there. I'm hoping to find a former underacheiver, who can share their story on how they changed. Maybe someone can offer me some advice or historical examples.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Were you once lazy?

still working on it; any good books for this?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
still working on it; any good books for this?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd have to read books to recommend one.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm bright

[/ QUOTE ]
People who are bright see life's possibilities (sex, money, friendship, experiences, travel, helping society), and then go out and achieve them. Lazy people are lazy because ultimately, they're too small minded to see the possibilities out there and what is required for achieving them.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bright

[/ QUOTE ]
People who are bright see life's possibilities (sex, money, friendship, experiences, travel, helping society), and then go out and achieve them. Lazy people are lazy because ultimately, they're too small minded to see the possibilities out there and what is required for achieving them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know bright people were productive and dumb people were lazy.

I guess you're implying I'm not as bright as I think I am. I may not be able to give you sufficient proof. I'll go by IQ tests, whatever they mean. I rather not say what my exact IQ is. However, I'll say it's over 130, and it's not 131.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:16 AM

Being bright and being lazy are not mutually exclusive. A lot of lazy people see life's possibilities, they just don't want to or choose not to (for one reason or another) exert the energy required to achieve those possibilities. Generally it's a function of discipline. And IQ is just an arbitrary number designed to distinguish people on how well they take a certain test. It does not guarantee you anything in life.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being bright and being lazy are not mutually exclusive. A lot of lazy people see life's possibilities, they just don't want to or choose not to (for one reason or another) exert the energy required to achieve those possibilities. Generally it's a function of discipline. And IQ is just an arbitrary number designed to distinguish people on how well they take a certain test. It does not guarantee you anything in life.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think people know this. When I said, "I didn't know bright people were productive and dumb people were lazy." I was being sarcastic. I guess I'm not smart enough (or maybe just too lazy) to portray myself as a bright person other than throwing my IQ range out there.

I appreciate the sincerity in your replies. GL w/ your own situation, but you are welcome to sit at my table.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 AM

I don't doubt your IQ at all, you seem intelligent from what I've read in your posts.

Times in life when I've been lazy I haven't thought things through. If you're intelligent and think through your goals, taking action is incredibly easy. Just figure out what you want and think about how to get it until you have a robust working model. For example:

>You want to get better at poker and move up a level:

Why?
- Because it's more fun, you have a better quality of life, can buy more things or have more savings, you're making progress as a player, you encounter more interesting people, and more interesting situations. You can blow some money when you feel like it. A night out at a club will be more fun. You can give money to your parents/family or important charity. The number of motivating reasons is only limited by your imagination.

What are some proven ways of getting better?
- Reviewing hands, doing exercises in books, writing out analyses of your play after each session.

How much time will it take?
- Break it down into so little each day/session it's no burden at all and no great change from the established order of things.

What other requirements are there for this to succeed?
- Bankroll, new monitor, etc.

What are the things that hold me back?
- X,Y
What system can I put in place for avoiding/managing X,Y that will work for me?

How do you get up the motivation to do it?
-You keep thinking about WHY you're doing it. Realistically think about what will happen if you don't do it. Compare the two alternatives. No matter how lazy you are 'why' will keep you on the straight and narrow.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 AM

i wasn't attractive enough to get laid while sitting on my azz. also my hands got tired.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 PM

deleted