Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Chip Races

People complain at my game, too, but I do have the chip race. It takes less than 30 seconds to race the chips off so I think the arguments are just stupid. Rounding up would only save a few seconds. Is it that important?

Seriously, how much time does it take to have everyone put all their odd chips in front of them, deal them a card for each odd chip, stack the odd chips in the center, swap the odd chips for the next higher denomination, and examine the cards to see which player(s) get a chip? 30 seconds is probably a very conservative estimate.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Chip Races

[ QUOTE ]
People complain at my game, too, but I do have the chip race. It takes less than 30 seconds to race the chips off so I think the arguments are just stupid. Rounding up would only save a few seconds. Is it that important?

Seriously, how much time does it take to have everyone put all their odd chips in front of them, deal them a card for each odd chip, stack the odd chips in the center, swap the odd chips for the next higher denomination, and examine the cards to see which player(s) get a chip? 30 seconds is probably a very conservative estimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used the chip race for the first time this past weekend but only because I had exactly enough chips to color up the 25s and 100s. Usually I round up and forget about it and if given the choice I'll round up every time. It's enough of a pain (to me) to color up anyway, but the chip race is an added piece I'd rather not do.

By the time I'm coloring up, the round up isn't significant to the blinds. I use 25s, 100s, 500s, and a single 1000 denom chip for my T5000 tourney. I take off the 25s when the blinds are going to 200/400 (75 would be the max round up) and I take off the 100s when the blinds are going to 1000/2000 (400 would be the max round up)...so at worst the person isn't even getting half of the small blind. It's an immaterial round up but I'd rather go up a small amount than down as I never want to take chips away from a player...it would leave some with a bad taste (even with the amount being so small).