Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: TPTK on a non-dangerous board

[ QUOTE ]
I really hate raising the flop. Someone enlighten me please.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to flat call the flop everytime you have something. It's not like by calling you will suddenly get JJ to throw all their money at you, and of course you also give them 2 free outs to bust you. People are also untrusting of flop raising sometimes, and will have a tough time folding QQ/JJ/AT and of course you get all of KQ's money when raise flop. You really think these donkeys at the $55s want to fold QQ-JJ just because you make some smallish flop raise?

But ok you are going to face a few opponents who will basically never bluff the turn with 99 if you flat call. In this case you are just giving them 2 absolutely free outs to beat you and win basically all your chips. For instance if Im the original bettor and I missed the flop or don't have top pair, you are basically giving me a free shot (albeit a small one) to win all your chips and giving yourself almost zero chance to make any more money from you.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hate raising the flop. Someone enlighten me please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being a wise ass here, but isn't the fact that the OP is now faced with this decision on the turn a good example of why raising the flop can't be too bad?

What is so wrong with raising while you likely have the best hand? Should we only raise as a bluff? Sometimes a flat call is more suspicious to an opponent anyway. Now the OP has let the villain take control of the hand and he is faced with a very hard decision.

Again, I'm not trying to be a wise ass. I just like to keep things simple. Sometimes the obvious, straightforward play is seen by your opponents as a bluff (they're thinking that it's so obvious, it smells suspicious). Anyway, I raise the flop, but maybe I'm missing something.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:20 AM

45suited, if this guy illmatic is supposedly a solid player, than I really hate calling the flop. If he has a small pocket pair, a large % of the time you are risking your whole stack just to hope to win one more bet that you often aren't going to get. These 2-4 outers do come sometimes. Best case is he has some crap like AQ and an ace comes on the turn.

My points aren't very convincing, and I definitely don't hate calling the flop. I don't hate it at all. But to act as though raising is bad is a bit insane to me, and it's my preferred play.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:24 AM

illmatic isn't that good, I played him in a 33 last night, although that was illmat1k or some such.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:27 AM

Oh okay. Btw Ive called in this spot before in my life for sure. However raising is definitely a fine option. It really depends how I feel....make the board a little less threatening, so that AQ and AJ don't have 4 outs for a gutshot, and then I might call a touch more often.

Honestly I just feel that a lot of PartyPoker players dont respect flop play. Thus if I raise on the flop, a good portion of the time I'll get played with by a worse hand.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:30 AM

I think arguments could be made for raising or calling the flop here. Either way I don't think I can get away from this hand on the turn.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
45suited, if this guy illmatic is supposedly a solid player, than I really hate calling the flop. If he has a small pocket pair, a large % of the time you are risking your whole stack just to hope to win one more bet that you often aren't going to get. These 2-4 outers do come sometimes. Best case is he has some crap like AQ and an ace comes on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I look at things a little differently than alot of players. I don't view every pot as "I have the best hand... hopefully I can take someone's stack". If a pot is sizeable, I'll take it while I have the best hand. If someone wants to chase, I'm going to make them pay. But I'm not so concerned with squeezing every last chip out of every pot.

I also try to get to certain general chip levels if possible along the way of the tournament. Once I reach these levels, I get very patient. (Like PVS's advice regarding the level 4 play before the structure changed.) Taking this pot would get me to a comfort zone. So I'm raising the flop, pushing if re-raised. Simple.

A huge portion of my chips in SNGs comes from strongly betting the best hands and letting my opponents out-think themselves.

Sometimes I almost think that I'm at an advantage simply because I know what my strengths and weaknesses are and I don't try to get too fancy and outsmart myself.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:31 AM

Yea Im basically responding to those who said raising on the flop was terrible or they didnt understand it or whatever.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 AM

BTW, I raise this flop too although I just call a K83 board or something. I like calling flops where I can safely give two free cards because a lot of those extra chips come on the river after you check the turn. KTx is a little too risky to do that with and he likes his hand a little too much so you may as well raise now. Of course I've called here, too. I call a lot more hands than curtains does depending on the exact board but the stars have to be aligned just right.

So anyway, the mistake in this hand is betting the turn because at this point no worse hand really calls. Having gotten here this way...I dunno. I stand by my last claim that you split a lot, but you are behind a fair bit and almost never ahead.

I think I'd wind up calling anyway just to make myself a note on the guy, because knowing he can do that is worth it.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd wind up calling anyway just to make myself a note on the guy, because knowing he can do that is worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you'd call him all the way down even if you felt you were behind just to get a note on the guy? Kind of an expensive note, isn't it?

Well I suppose I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about here since I rarely see the same players twice, much less remember them!