Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 05:19 AM

Default 5/10 - AQs river decision

Another river decision at the same table. Villian is 70/26/1.5 over ~250 hands. Here's the thing: he makes funky river plays. He donks it a lot with hopeless bluffs or mediocre pairs. Should I or should I not 3-bet this river?

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5.00 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.00 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero...
Old 12-18-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: 5/10 - AQs river decision

I don't think there's any way he plays 2-pair or a set this passively (before the river, that is), so 3-bet and confidently call a cap.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:30 AM

I would probably just call the cr. Someone with his stats could easily include completing any 2 suited from the sb. The only thing worse than losing to the bdfd would be spewing in the process. A4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:38 AM

Standard 3-bet for me. This looks so much like Qx.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:45 AM

I should also note that this guy was a flop donk fanatic, as well. I was actually mad I raised the flop, because I probalby could've popped the turn.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should also note that this guy was a flop donk fanatic, as well. I was actually mad I raised the flop, because I probalby could've popped the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can never go wrong by very much fastplaying against LAGs. Sometimes it's better to calldown aggressive players, but that's for LAGs that have a brain and will fold worst hands if you get aggressive. This guy looks like the type that will go to war with nothing on occasion or donk you on the turn after calling your raise. I think the flop raise is fine.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:56 AM

Sorry.. should've been clearer. I had a read that he donked flops and slowed down to flop aggression.

He wasn't a standard LAG. Sometimes he was preflop, sometimes not. Donks flop. Just about standard on the turn (though he'd throw a semi-bluff in there from time to time), and LAG-y river.

I also absolutely owned him. I'm just reviewing a few spots where I question whether I played it optimally or not.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:04 AM

i was considering if it'd be better to wait till the turn (or even river possibly) to raise. I kinda want to keep the button calling. i probably three bet the river, but i puke at cap, i actually think it can be folded if the guy isn't completely retarded, given that, i fold it never.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:06 AM

id call the raise but im a bit of a wimp on the rivers.

I don't mind a three bet, getting capped can suck but the BDFD or FH is very unlikly so its probably best to.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:24 AM

3bet all the way boy.