Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (22) please tell me if this is a bad fold

[ QUOTE ]
nh unreal

Am I the only one who feels like people are consistently taking the "play tight early" advice a little too far?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define too far? Maybe you are thinking weak/tight? If you're saying my desire is to survive mostly intact until the blinds are 50/100 and above, then you would be correct. If you are saying I'll fold to easily or won't play good hands, then you are not so correct. I agree I play tight. I do not agree I play weak/tight.

Typical Party Poker SNG--11s and 22s. You have two players who are idiots. They're usually gone early. They're NOT taking me with them. You have six who are struggling to get into the late game. They range from clueless to careless to tight/nervous. You have one who is as good or better than you. And you. You're at least 50/50 to get ITM, provided you survive the early rounds. Take a shot or two, but don't use up all your ammunition during the skirmishes. Wait for the real battle to begin. That's when the Warriors win.

That's wrong?

CJ
Old 10-06-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're at least 50/50 to get ITM, provided you survive the early rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you have 50%+ itm over several thousand sngs?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's wrong?

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you have 50%+ itm over several thousand sngs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but that's a typical response here. That's NOT what I said. I said, given the typical table at 11s and 22s, you are up against one other player as good as you are or better, usually. The ICM says with 10 people and 800 chips you have a 10% chance at the prize. Mathmatically, this may be correct, but in reality you are much better. You aren't competing with all 10, you're competing with 2 to 4 who have a realistic chance of getting ITM. They have less of a chance of winning. 5 out of the 10 have no realistic chance at all of winning the avg. SNG. If this doesn't make logical sense to you, I wish you luck.

Second, this fallback argument of "show us your stats over several thousand SNGs" is bogus and laughable. If you do not KNOW how good you are in a much shorter period of time, you're not smart enough to play this game at any reasonably high level. If you don't know how good you are in comparison to your competition, you're not very good. Remember the quote from Rounders? If you can't tell who the fish is, it's you? You shouldn't need thousands of results to tell you this. If you do, you're an idiot and probably going to lose. I'm using the General You, not specifically you, Nicholas. I know you're smart, too smart to use this in an argument. It's the Official Chant of 2+2, and it's ridiculous. Is your bankroll going up? You are good. One doesn't need thousands of results to prove anything to anyone.

That's my opinion and it should be yours too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

CJ
Old 10-07-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's wrong?

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not.

Shall we continue this back and forth or would you like to put forth some reason for why it's wrong?

CJ