Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Bankroll for multitables?

[ QUOTE ]
God, i got some discussion started here [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, good job. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's funny. Poker is a game full of complex problems that could be debated forever, but this (the question of bankroll-size for multitabling) is one of the few things that is simple: If adding tables also adds some suckage to your game you have to add more BBs to your bankroll. If adding tables doesn't affect your game at all you keep your usual BR (whatever that is).

Nevertheless, everytime it's brought up it creates a huge discussion.

/twang
Old 03-30-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a bit of a long-winded answer, but the point is that a lower win-rate is still an upward sloping curve from point "A" to point "B". Only an increase in variance would require a bigger bankroll, not a decrease in the slope of this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a second there, Professor.. I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

What if a player has a win rate of -5BB/100? Does this player need a bigger or smaller bankroll than a +5BB/100 player in order to avoid losing their bankroll? Hopefully it's obvious that the losing player needs a bigger bankroll. Of course win rate can be thought of as the slope of your winnings, or drift in brownian motion. But the greater that slope, the less you have to worry about variance. Give me infinite slope, and how big a bankroll do I need?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a bit of a long-winded answer, but the point is that a lower win-rate is still an upward sloping curve from point "A" to point "B". Only an increase in variance would require a bigger bankroll, not a decrease in the slope of this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a second there, Professor.. I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

What if a player has a win rate of -5BB/100? Does this player need a bigger or smaller bankroll than a +5BB/100 player in order to avoid losing their bankroll? Hopefully it's obvious that the losing player needs a bigger bankroll. Of course win rate can be thought of as the slope of your winnings, or drift in brownian motion. But the greater that slope, the less you have to worry about variance. Give me infinite slope, and how big a bankroll do I need?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...yeah. Anyway, I think we've already decided that my posts were lacking in validity. But I will say this with certainty: If you have a negative winrate, you don't need a bankroll. You need a budget.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE ARE YELLING ABOUT........