Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Middle End of Tournament Hand Question

I usually don't post here because I am lazy, but I have a question I simply cannot answer. I am in a Tournament on Party Poker. We are in level 8 and the blinds are 150/300. Largest Stack is 21077 and Chip Average is 5951. I have 6618 in chips and am in the Big Blind. One person with 650 chips left raises the blind to and even 600. It is folded to me where I look down at 2s3h. In this situation I thought I was clearly and underdog and it would of been an unprofitable call. My Pot Odds were 300BB+150SB+600(raiser)+ his additional 50 chips if I raised him all-in for a total of 1100 chips effectively putting me at about 3.1-1. Is this an easy fold, call, or raise and put him all-in? I folded, did I make the right choice? Thanks for all of the input.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Middle End of Tournament Hand Question

Looks like a close call to me.

The min-raise leaving t50 behind (if I understand you post correctly) is very odd, could be a prime pair desperate for a call, a mis-click, or just plain goof. It would be nice to know your opponents position.

A narrow range for your opponent would be AA down to TT and AK - AQ. A wider range any pair down to 55 and include KQ & QJ. Both cases a 50/50 mix of over-pairs and over-cards, and the result is going to be more or less that same in both cases, if I got it right.

The final pot will be t1,450; your equity against a pair is going to be 12 - 16% (approximately t200 x .50 = t100), and against overcards in the 32% - 34% range (around t480 x .50 = t240). So you average t340 for the cost of t350 (re-raise him all-in), costing you t10.

Starting out with t6,600 at the 150/300 level a loss of t350 will probably not have any major impact on your chances, whereas adding t1,100 to you stack will open up some additional stealing possibilities. On that basis I would go for it.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)