Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Hand protection ruling

A good friend of mine just explained your points in a way that made sense to me. "It's not the dealer's job to make you money, it's his job to be a third party that makes the game as fair as possible for everyone at the table." I can now see why the dealer did what he did, although if I was the dealer, I wouldn't say a word. Perhaps cause I'm a player.

PokerPrince
Old 04-12-2003, 10:39 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

glad to hear someone explained it to you that you can understand where we're coming from. understanding the 'whole' game, and not 'just' your agenda may even make you that much more dangerous on the table.

have a good one

b
Old 04-12-2003, 12:39 PM

"I whispered to the dealer, "You just cost yourself a lot of tokes pal."

If I am unhappy with my airline, I still tip the skycap. If I am unhappy with my food, I still tip the waitress.

I don't see the dealer's comment as being any different than his shuffle. He was doing what he perceived to be his job. Without knowing the management's dealer training/education/procedure policy, it is impossible to judge the dealer's action as correct or not, and therefore, like the skycap who slows me down with a tedious form to fill out, I don't see why his tip should be affected.

Tommy
Old 04-13-2003, 04:47 AM

The dealer absolutely must point this out to the other player. The dealer must protect the interests of the individual player as well as the others at the table.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:00 PM

If I'm sitting next to someone who's not protecting their hand and allowing me to see it without putting an effort into doing it I will tell them at least once, sometimes twice depending on what I think of the person.

However, if he keep doing it, that's fine with me and I will definitely use the information.

FatLoser
Old 04-14-2003, 08:04 PM

if a dealer sees this and doesnt correct the situation he is guilty of collusion with the player and should be fired. absolutely he is cheating. the playing is using bad ethics in my opinion, but its an individual thing and i can see both sides to that. but the dealer by being complacent, is cheating for the players seeing the cards.
the players are really cheating the other players because they have info not available to them. only is it not cheating, if the other players at the table know it and dont care. but it is in effect robbing the new player.
it would be similar if the cards were marked and you were able to read them even though you didnt put the marked cards in the game. it would still be considered cheating to read them against your opponents.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:03 PM

I agree with Ray but I would not say anything to the others if i could see his cards the whole time. It's up to the dealer. I would understand if it was a 3-6 table and he was just learning but if you jump into a 20-40 game and don't know what your doing then you deserve to lose.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:12 PM

Well said Ray.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:52 AM

Obviously a player like this is a new one to the game. Surely we want him back, and to some extent it would be beneficial for him to learn a little. I am not one that ever likes to see a player offering free advice at the table, but talking about the basics of the game, and being polite about it, is not only beneficial to your game but will make the whole experience more fun for the new player.
things like explaining the blinds, betting structure and obviously hiding your cards should be a given IMO.

A few months ago the same happened to me. Right away I expained to the new player that he shouldn't lift his cards up to look at them but should try and do it so no one could see them.

Some people may disagree, but I like to still have a level of integrity when I'm playing.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:31 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default cool...i didnt think of that angle

as the dealer colluding with the player.

not sure how i missed that..

where's that two by four, it was laying around here.

there it is. BAP! (hits self in head)

ahhh, that feels better

good points

b