Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 PM

Default An AKo disagreement

Blinds 200/400
CO-1: 7000
Hero: 6500

Folded to CO - 1
CO-1 Limps

Folds to Hero in the BB with AKo

Pot is 1000, Hero has 6.5G
hero?

My friend and I disagreed on how to play the hand. One player felt pushing and taking down the 1K while probably ahead and destroying the positional advantage of the limper was the best play, the other felt raising it and playing it on the flop was the best play.

The first player thought he could get low PPs to fold and maybe get calls from AQ or AJs, the second player felt like risking a stack for 1G was a bad idea.

After arguing awhile, I finally posted the hand here. Id really like to hear what everyone has to say on this one.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: An AKo disagreement

I'd raise to 2000 and push on any flop.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:01 AM

I like pushing, limper could think you are stealing, might lower his calling standards, and i'd be fine just taking the 1000 down uncontested. I think it's unlikely that if you push you are dominated.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 AM

OK, so the count is 1 and 1 with the preflop action, help me out here guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 02:02 AM

Default bump (no content)

bumppp
Old 08-10-2005, 02:11 AM

Hero raises to T2000 (another T1600) and plays the hand OOP.

Hero is going to have to risk his stack at least two dozen times to win the tournament, not risking it with AK is defeatist. Better to do it now while you can control the pot, and are not totally committed to playing the hand, and have a premium hand. At the next blind level hero will be in push and fold mode anyhow, and an extra 1K isn't going to change hero's circumstances.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:15 AM

I think I push here. Why would this guy limp with soemthing good in his spot. If I am the villian, I am raising here with anything half decent to steal the blinds. I think you have the best hand here, without question (said without knowledge of said villian), and I am happy to take the 1000k in the pot.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:23 AM

I make it ~1800 and push any non AK flop if called. Your stack is at a point where you'll need to double through to make a run and I would be looking to do it right here. If he calls and folds on the flop then you've made an increase of 30% on your stack. If you both get all in and win you now have some chips to play more aggressively and build on.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to T2000 (another T1600) and plays the hand OOP.

Hero is going to have to risk his stack at least two dozen times to win the tournament, not risking it with AK is defeatist. Better to do it now while you can control the pot, and are not totally committed to playing the hand, and have a premium hand. At the next blind level hero will be in push and fold mode anyhow, and an extra 1K isn't going to change hero's circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone saying we are shortstacked? We have an M or 11, there is certainly no urgency here.

Also, what hands are you putting him on the he'll call for 2000 and fold to a push? If youre betting that big you might as well be pushing, IMO. If he calls he'll likely call most flops, but the few he folds will be the ones containing an A or K. This means youre getting far fewer chips than if youd gotten that same call with all your chips in preflop with a call. I tend to think theyre willing to call a big bet, or they arent. If they are its better to get all the chips in preflop since youll usually miss on the flop and the times you hit you give him a chance to fold.

Maybe a range of hands and how you expect them to play would help understand this action?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:43 AM

When the blinds go up hero will have ~11XBB.

Villain has the same problem and probably wants to gamble, so hero should help him. Villain gets ~2:1 to call another ~T1500 into a pot of ~T3000.

If hero has a range of 99++, AJ++, villain can call this with a pretty wide range of hands including some trappy stuff, especially as he is in position.

Hero is going to have to play poker OOP, get used to it.