Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 02:10 AM

Default How to play against limpers who have big pairs

I've been reading the forums for some time now, but haven't
posted until now.
Full Tilt $5 sng 6 players remaining.
I've got roughly 1000 in chips and the blinds are 50/100.
Several limpers, i look down at 55 in the SB. I make a pot
sized raise the BB mucks , the villian utg calls, the rest
fold. Flop is Q 5 X. I make a pot sized raise w/ my set
(2 to a flush). Villian simply calls. The turn is a blank,
so i push all in, quick call. He shows pocket QQ and takes
the pot w/ top set. What could i have done different? The
more i play the more i see these big pairs limping. How do
you pick up on this? Im finding it very hard to take, because im seeing it more and more. any input appreciated
Old 07-17-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: How to play against limpers who have big pairs

Did I just play against you in that turbo on Stars where the blinds got to 1000/2000?

Edit: as to your post, never fold a set unless you are certain your opponent has a flush or a straight (which is not the case here obviously). Read Harrington on Hold 'em, he actually makes fun of people who fold sets for fear of higher sets.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:19 AM

i have read HOH. Ill put my chips in w/ a flopped set (as
I did). My point is , the villian LIMPED w/ pQQ and IAM
the one who raised w/ my p55, we both flopped a set. How am
I supposed to know HE had QQ?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have read HOH. Ill put my chips in w/ a flopped set (as
I did). My point is , the villian LIMPED w/ pQQ and IAM
the one who raised w/ my p55, we both flopped a set. How am
I supposed to know HE had QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't. I go broke here approximately 100% of the time. Which is fine, it sucks, cards happen.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:35 AM

I would have pushed and lost.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:11 PM

i had this happen a couple of days ago 3-handed in a SNG where i doubled up a shortstack who had limped in on the SB with Q Q. i understood why he limped in instead of raising; to get maximium value provided someone played strong and there were no overs. he accomplished that.

*ok, time for adjustment. i, myself, don't like limping or limpers and this hand was a clear example of why*

what i did from there on out was everytime he limped after that, whether all three of us was in the pot or whether he limped in from the SB again, i raised him with any two and forced him to play. there was even one hand where i had something like J 5o where i raised, he reraised back, and i reraised him again, and he folded. i then showed my hand to let him know that everytime he did that, from there on out, he was gonna have to be willing to call a raise and play a big pot against any two cards. i never let up with that strategy and ended up winning the SNG. i did'nt just do this in this particular SNG, i do it in pretty much all of them. anyone who thinks that $5 and $10 SNGs players don't pay attention to this kind of play are kidding themselves. find a way to adjust and exploit, then make them pay to play---big pair or not. when they start burning off alot of unnecessary chips from limping and then having to fold to a raise, they'll back off and be more willing to play straight foward next time---at least in my experience. by the time they start back playing more straight foward again, they've now lost most of the momentum [and chips] they gained off that one hand. i'm now back in control and mission accomplished. he/she either becomes a victim at the hands of me or the other opponent.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:22 PM

You are going to be the favorite 99% of the time here, only QQ is ahead on flop and I can't see a situation even if you had an inkling he was holding QQ not to push/raise.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:43 PM

thanks for the great input guys. After i reread this post
another similar hand came to mind.
KK (oop)limped, I raised w/ 99, JJ (SB& shrtstck)call, KK call.
Flop QXX
JJ all in, KK r/r allin, I fold
my pf raise was about 6x BB
should i have limped pf?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the great input guys. After i reread this post
another similar hand came to mind.
KK (oop)limped, I raised w/ 99, JJ (SB& shrtstck)call, KK call.
Flop QXX
JJ all in, KK r/r allin, I fold
my pf raise was about 6x BB
should i have limped pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you have to stop raising with middle pairs, most of the time it just brings trouble. That is the only part of the 55 post you did wrong. what do you hope to accomplish by raising and EP limper out of position with 55?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:15 PM

I haven't played 5s in a while and never on full tilt. That being said, I don't think you stack is deep enough to bet 250+(not sure how many limpers) preflop. If you don't get your set you are looking a 2 overs most of the time. You are out of position. Putting in 1/4 of your stack and folding on the flop is not good poker. Personally I just call here. You will still have FE and a playable stack. If there were a lot of limpers (3 or so) I might go for the push and hope that I am in a race if called. I really need to have seen the players fold to do that. A lot of low level players call way too much. After you hit the set, you are losing all of your chips. The times you are called by AQ or worse make up for it.

As far as raising with 99, it depends a lot on the situation. From LP, I will raise if I am opening if the blinds are worth winning. Otherwise I am playing them mainly for set value. If it looks like a safe flop (1 over preferable a jack or queen to an ace, no obvious flush/straight draws) and I have position, I will take one shot at it if checked to me.