Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Did Arnie Really Deserve This?

The death penalty isn't regarded as a human rights issue here, it is just another punishment. It depends alot on the state, but I doubt it comes anywhere close to Europe.

In general though Europe seems really soft on its criminals. I mean why don't you give Milosevic a sensual message.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The death penalty isn't regarded as a human rights issue here, it is just another punishment

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course thatīs true. What I wanted to say is that the way the US treats human rights these days is in unacceptable for Europeans. Now if A.S. would have pardoned that guy it would have been a small sign that the US acts not always in a "I-feel-this-is-my-right-and-therefore-I-do-it" and "Who-cares-what-the-other-think" mode.

[ QUOTE ]
In general though Europe seems really soft on its criminals. I mean why don't you give Milosevic a sensual message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess that just fits in the picture, that the average European has about the average American.

The reason why we donīt give a "sensual message" is, that we live in a constitutional state, and EVERYBODY, good or bad, has the same rights! I hope, you didnīt mean it that way it came across.

Martin Aigner
Old 12-28-2005, 01:16 PM

When you are a genocidal mass murdered you deserve to be punished. He isn't being punished. He will live out his days in relative comfort and security.

There is no sense of justice there. And no real deterent against future actions. If I'm thinking of committing genocide, and the worst thing that will happen to me is I'll get 3 square a day in a clean prison with TV, basketball, and walks in the garden then why shouldn't I.

If Hitler were alive today would he recieve the same treatment as Milosevic? If so your lucky we've protected you from such men for so long.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:24 PM

If he dies before there is a verdict, than so be it. I think society as a whole is better off to give everybody the same rights, no matter what he did. But I guess we will never agree on this one. Although this makes for an interesting topic.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 PM

You can give him a fair trial, but when he's found guilty by the mountain of evidence what are you going to do to him? Practically nothing really. The penalty for genocide is a life of relative comfort. Perhaps there should be a harsher sentence for such crimes.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:57 PM

If you look upon Europeans and handling you should look upon the totality when judging (how long he was able to stay in power etc.) the effort, and the effort as a whole was a shame [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. We are a bit better prepared to prevent something similar to happen again, but not well enough prepared [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].