Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: i m a pathetic gambling addict- self motivation purpose

ya there are, i just have to stay away.
i will keep it in mind, thanks man.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Hey dude, my go never gotten over 4k. You have brains but not maturity.

Like he said, don't read Sklansky, read Scott Peck.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 AM

lol its ok man, my highest was 4k when i just joined and dint play poker, went down to 10k since poker.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:30 AM

If you really still itch to gamble, take up backgammon, edge is higher than poker, there are some nice pigeons in NY, or learn thoroughbred handicapping; this should take your mind off poker a while, something like gradual reduction therapy.

Read “The road less traveled” by Scott Peck, get it in any store, ten bucks.

Don’t play poker or BJ.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 AM

thanks.

just went to barnes and noble website and read the review about the book, sounds really good and i will get it.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Honestly, when people ask me about poker, if they should play, etc, I usually try to discourage them. Poker is a great money maker for some people. These are the exceptions. For many, it's a harmless hobby where they win a bit or lose a bit. For some, esp. those already predisposed to be action junkies, it can be pure death. I've seen it. I've walked the line myself at times. You need EXTREME control to play well and win significant money. You are clearly playing with money you can't afford to lose. Whether or not you have technical knowledge, I won't say. That's because it means LESS THAN NOTHING if you can't control yourself at the table AND OFF. The end result for you is inevitable; going broke, hurting relationships with friends and family, productivity issues, etc.

If I were you, I'd stop. So far, you've gotten out cheap. I came to a similar crossroads years ago where I knew I had to quit or put everything I had into beating this game. And I do mean everything. I chose the latter, and for me, it worked out very well. But there was a gray time where it easily could have gone south HARD. I literally put 100% of my energy into this game and played hard. Many people who attempt to do this will go flat broke. And no one will care. That's the reality. So you need to weigh many factors and do what's best for your life.

If you choose to play big time, people like me (and people better than me) will be there waiting to see if you lose control so we can beat you to the point you sleep on the street. Weigh your options carefully.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 AM

ya, dats why i m tryin to discipline myself.
to not to play a game dat i cant handle, 1/2 2/4 is what i should been playin, since i make really good money out of beating noobs, but need to stay in the limit.

we will see, i m probably going to take a break from poker and play 1/2 in a couple months, will not play high stake.
will not!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:11 PM

If you intend on getting back in the game, get PokerTracker. Take regularly scheduled breaks within sessions and within months. Break every 100 hands for a few minutes. Break every 1000 hands for 24 hours. Break every 5000 hands for a week. During each break, evaluate your play a) since the last break; and b) overall. This is your first step towards escaping results-oriented thinking, which is the first step in becoming a player and not a gambler.

If you do choose to treat poker as a gamble and not as a sport, then set aside a certain amount of money per month for entertainment. Gambling is fine in small doses but if this is your route, I would suggest contacting GA before continuing.

EDIT: It's quite clear from your post that Party made a great decision to add BJ tables.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i slapped myself, banged my head to the wall and screamed, i told myself i will never gamble again.

since then, maybe i have improved my games

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM

lol, good one.