Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Optimal play?

Live $50 tourney 1 $20 rebuy. 120 players, it is the final table, play has been very passive up to this point. Blinds 1000/2000 with 500 ante my brother is in BB. Avg chip stack is about 25k Utg + 1 limps (30k behind), Mp 2 limps (18k behind) CO limps (15k behind), SB completes (18k behind) my brother looks down to see 10,5o and calls. I thought he should push, he was hoping to catch a good flop and push on flop if SB checked.

Is pushing the optimal play or do you wait till you have a suited connecter, low pp, 2 brodway to make this play? This was a unique situation since in these tourneys the stacks are so shallow there is alot of all in preflop from the smaller stacks and I felt it was a easy way to almost double up without having to showdown.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Optimal play?

What is your brother's stack size?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:22 PM

Thought I put it in there, he has around 20k after posting blind/ante.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:34 PM

I would call and take the flop or just fold preflop. His stack size isn't great but it isn't overly small either. I'm waiting for a better hand before I push my stack in.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:41 PM

It depends on his reads of other players. Have they been willing to put all their chips at risk when raised all-in (i.e. are they call stations as well as passive)? Also, what is his image at the table? If he has been tight, then they will respect his raise. If not, he may find himself called in multiple places. If he has been playing tight, and people have been folding raises, an all-in raise is a great play here --- he is likely to increase his stack by 50% with little risk.