Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Two hardware upgrade questions

I need to buy a dual video card for my CRT and 2001fp I am aware of the card that I need. My question is how much does the specific card affect performance of 4+ tabling, PT, and PV. I currently have my graphics card built into the motherboard so any card will probably be better than what I have now. So should I just try to find the cheapest card available with a VGA and DVI port, or should I spend more on a card with higher specs.

My second question is I have seen it mentioned that adding a small but fast hard drive strictly for your PT DB could speed your computer up greatly. I was looking at the Fujitsu 18 gig 15,000 RPM hard drive here which doesn't seem too expensive. Would it increase performance enough to justify buying. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Two hardware upgrade questions

None.

Higher card specs is for gaming, and gaming only. The only exception is in regard to Matrox chipset cards, but you'll most likely be going with an ATI or nVidia chipset card.

In regards to your second question, no. It's not worth the heat, noise, and price to buy a 15k rpm drive just for PT. You're better off with a faster CPU and at least 1GB of RAM. As long as your old drive is 7200rpm you won't notice much of a difference.