Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Becoming a student of the game (double post)

I just finished reading "Inside the Poker Mind" and I'm very excited about becoming a so called student. I want to put together a "structure" to follow. I want to become a student in the true since of the word just as Feeny suggest in his book. I've been playing for about a year, mostly online at the 2/4 level. I'm barely a winning player. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Becoming a student of the game (double post)

2/4 is a big level to start at. If your not rich, I bet playing cheaper games would allow you to play more and hence learn more.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 AM

Wow, your very first post is to give me advice? Thanks, you've made me especially honored.

I didn't say I was starting at 2/4. I started at micro-limits and worked my way up. Go back and read my post. I've been playing for a year now and I'm currently playing at 2/4 mostly and 3/6 sporadically with confidence. I've played the 5/10 occasionally just to get a feel for it and I'm not ready for that level, although I didn't loose my shirt. I just don't feel ready at that level yet. The only thing keeping me back from being a good to semi-great player is my tendencies to tilt and or loosen up my play after bad beats or just being tired. I’m working on those aspects of my game.

I'm making a pledge to myself to structure my study of the game and then just go at it, hence my request for advice. I'm wondering if anyone has a journal or an "outline" to go by. Or just any advice would be good. My BR is at $1350 so I'm ok there.

A little bit about where I stand. I’ve played just over 115k hands. I’ve read TOP, SSHE twice, HEFAP twice, Winning Low-Limit Hold'em, and Inside the Poker Mind and various other essays on HE. My BB/100 stands at 1.46. I’ve noticed that if I block out my sessions that are past 8pm my time my BB/100 goes up to 2.41. Anyway, any help is coo!
Old 09-15-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I’ve read TOP, SSHE twice, HEFAP twice

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, this is all you need. bookwise. Keep reading till you know them inside and out. More importantly read posts. Go through your hand histories, look for hands that you weren't sure of. Read through your books and see if you can find the answers to the questions these hands posed. If not, post them here.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't say I was starting at 2/4. I started at micro-limits and worked my way up. Go back and read my post. I've been playing for a year now and I'm currently playing at 2/4 mostly and 3/6 sporadically with confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intuitively, it sounds like you're moving up too fast. I would have to know how many hours you're playing -- perhaps you play poker 140 hours a week or something, and my intuition is calibrated to 20 hrs/week or so, in which case I'm underestimating your requirements to move up by a factor of seven.

What criterion are you using to move up? How big a sample do you require to know you're not just running good?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Intuitively, it sounds like you're moving up too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think moving up to 2/4 in a year is too fast. If you have the $$$, I don't see a problem with starting at 2/4...
Old 09-15-2005, 10:36 AM

My verdict of "too fast" was a bit sloppy. You're right: if you're Andy Beal, starting at the Bellagio $80-$160 may not be "too fast" -- not because you expect to beat that game the first time, but because you're exchanging a plentiful resource to you (US dollars) for a less-plentiful resource (excitement). So I'll state the assumption that the OP is seeking to maximize dollar return, not some other "quality of life" factor, although those should be considered in most long-term poker related decisions too!

Moving up to $2/4 within a year might be too fast, though, if the OP doesn't want to play at any level* until he's relatively certain he's beaten the next-lower level.

*except of course the lowest micro-limit.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, your very first post is to give me advice? Thanks, you've made me especially honored.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to be a true student of the game, you need to leave your ego aside and listen to advice when offered. You can accept or reject the advice, but think about it before doing so.

Ego and poker do not go together. That's one lesson to take from Feeney's book.

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I was starting at 2/4. I started at micro-limits and worked my way up. Go back and read my post. I've been playing for a year now and I'm currently playing at 2/4 mostly and 3/6 sporadically with confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest, as you study, that you do not remain at 2/4 and 3/6. Most of us have experienced an interesting side effect of study. After we start studying something new - probably something we never thought about before - we experience a painful losing streak.

This is a natural by-product of learning. It's a dialectic, if you will: read, try, fail, reread and start to really understand it, try, fail less, reread and talk about it with someone, try, succeed. Sometimes there will be more or fewer retries.

I don't have a syllabus for you. You might talk to the poster here named "Student" - he's thought a lot about how to study the game.

Regards,

T
Old 09-15-2005, 11:36 PM

I think I'm just going to stop asking questions here. AKQJ10, what the hell are you talking about? You obviously do not care to answer my question. If I need your advice on which level to play, trust me I will come a call'n. But to answer your question, I "usually" play about 20-25 hours a week. I never mentioned anything about moving up limits.

SheridanCat, there was no ego in my 2nd post. Why is this guy assuming that I'm just starting out? Plus he didn't even catch the part of my OP that said that I've been playing for a year and it was his 1st post. I was looking for some advice, if you can't offer any "for my actual question", then please don't reply.

SheridanCat, thank you for at least leading me to another poster.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm just going to stop asking questions here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps that would be best, yes.

[ QUOTE ]

SheridanCat, there was no ego in my 2nd post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being insulted when someone offers you advice is the result of ego - maybe you feel you're being condescended to. Furthermore, I offered you two lessons in my reply, but you don't seem too interested in those.

So, read Student's posts and the replies to those. The best study outside reading the books - which it sounds like you have pretty well covered - is to read the forums here that cover the topics you're interested in.

Good luck,

T