FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to see Sin City
Yes 27 72.97%
No 2 5.41%
I don't know what it is 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Greatest Classic Rock Song - Round 2

Sponge,, give us a few of your favs? secondly if baba and wish u were here lose the results should be null and void..arod4276
Old 05-18-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if baba and wish u were here lose the results should be null and void

[/ QUOTE ]

For me wish you were here is an easy vote, as it might be my favourite song of all time.

BUT... there is no way you can say that WYWH is so much greater than BR that it is poll voiding.

I would contend that if a large group of music critics got together, they would conclude that BR > WYWH.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:08 PM

I agree that WYWH and BR is a tough call, and a matter of personal preference. However, Baba O'Reiley trailing Dream On is mindboggling.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Baba O'Reiley trailing Dream On is mindboggling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-18-2005, 06:33 PM

Nice attempt, but i think your little contest falls short...

A: missing some of the most influential/popular songs and artists in rock and roll- no allman brothers (jessica) no grateful dead (truckin) no van morrison (gloria) noelton john (rocket man) no bowie, no CSNY, no roy orbison, no johnny cash, no zappa, etc... i missed the first reound, so sry if they were there and lost.

B: stairway to heaven is the most overrated sone ever. it is crap. crap. no, really, i think it's trite, contrived, sappy trash. heartbreaker, kashmir, over the hills and far away, immigrant song, when the levee breaks, dazed and confused, etc, were all far superior, IMO.

C: Kashmir is losing to american pie. as of right now, there are 51 MORANS on this forum.

anyway, good idea, but a little too complex of a subject, IMO.

and how the hell am i suposed to decide between 'comfortably numb' and 'bohemian raphsody'?

and if i had to pick a 'greatest rock song of all time' it's 'stone free' new years 1969 version, from the fillmore east recording.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice attempt, but i think your little contest falls short...

A: missing some of the most influential/popular songs and artists in rock and roll- no allman brothers (jessica) no grateful dead (truckin) no van morrison (gloria) noelton john (rocket man) no bowie, no CSNY, no roy orbison, no johnny cash, no zappa, etc... i missed the first reound, so sry if they were there and lost.

B: stairway to heaven is the most overrated sone ever. it is crap. crap. no, really, i think it's trite, contrived, sappy trash. heartbreaker, kashmir, over the hills and far away, immigrant song, when the levee breaks, dazed and confused, etc, were all far superior, IMO.

C: Kashmir is losing to american pie. as of right now, there are 51 MORANS on this forum.

anyway, good idea, but a little too complex of a subject, IMO.

and how the hell am i suposed to decide between 'comfortably numb' and 'bohemian raphsody'?

and if i had to pick a 'greatest rock song of all time' it's 'stone free' new years 1969 version, from the fillmore east recording.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, Jessica was in the contest, but was knocked out by Stairway in the first round. There were also some Elton John songs that got knocked out in the first round. As for the other artists you mention, they have merit, but which of the 64 songs should not have been on the original list? There are a couple of weak ones IMO, but not many. There are so many good songs out there that it is really hard to come up with a list that doesn't leave some people unhappy. Anyway, I decided to use the list from Q1043 (NYC's classic rock station) as the starting point because there is no other non-arbitrary or manageable way I could think of.

Also, to say that Stairway is crap is just ridiculous. The only reason you are saying that is because so many people say that it is the best classic rock song ever that it has become overrated. But just because it is slightly overrated does not mean it is crap.

Finally, I agree that the results of some of the matchups are travesties, but don't blame me, blame OOT.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:26 PM

vote dammit
Old 05-19-2005, 10:26 AM

Homer with The Who (minus Moon of course)