Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Poker pro w/ most business savvy

I'd say DN although the mishap with Pokermountain didn't seem like the wisest thing to do, maybe it couldnt be helped.

Was always curious why he didn't go with FTP, as they really seem to be getting their name out (which he loves) and it just seems like he fits in with that crowd, dunno if they wouldnt have paid him enough or theres something else to it. Should be interesting to see how his Pokerroom skin works out.

Havent read his blog in a long while, but it seems like he made the transition from poker player to business man under the guise of a poker player along time ago.

Not to say he cant play some cards, however.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:22 AM

Tstone,

No, that summary is not at all what I was asking.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:55 PM

TStone,
Creating a marketable name is only one aspect of having business savvy. Business savvy being what separates corporate execs, succesfull entrepreneurs, and savvy investors from the rest of the population: the ability to recognize and create value. Negreanu might be the most 'famous' poker player known to the masses, but if all his business deals (poker sites, merchandise, real estate, whatever) dont end up making him any money, he hasn't shown any business savvy at all.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:31 PM

the reason why i went out of my way to summarize el diablo's original thread to ability to create a marketable name is because going strictly by business savvy, daniel negreanu and phil hellmuth are nowhere near the most business savvy poker players and its not even close imo. the poker players who have the most business savvy are likely to be the ones that you wouldn't expect it from. daniel negreanu and phil hellmuth are just famous people who market their name. besides that they havent shown a propensity to know anything about business whatsoever.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:22 PM

phil gordon is definitely positively really not an idiot.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 PM

well maybe i shouldnt insult phil gordon like that but its based on some things:

1) he thinks hes the most famous poker player.

2) he told the rich guy blowing money in the 400/800 game in eugeneel's thread that what hes doing with his money is disgusting.

3) hes very boring on camera.

4) he thinks hes much better at poker than he is.

to his credit hes of course very business savvy but i wouldnt consider him to be good at marketing his name. i think his current fame is based on the fact that he landed celebrity poker showdown which should never have happened imo.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 AM

i don't dislike phil, but i agree with some of what you wrote. the reason he is on celebrity poker is because many people in the tv business (and his agents) feel phil comes off as a very likeable guy (and with a sense of humor) on camera. he has several projects in development, because execs in the industry like the way he comes across.
while the little green book was very basic, i thought it was surprisingly well presents - very clearly written compared to many poker books.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 AM

i actually read phil's poker book before when i was in b&n one day. it was pretty entertaining.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:52 AM

Im suprised no one is really talking about Chris Ferguson. It seems like he is in almost every poker commercial or poker spot on tv. How many times has he had a segment throwing cards at produce, etc? All that air time means that he probably pulls down a decent amount for each commercial he does. Hellmuth and Negraneau don't have their face in enough ads to really be making the most.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:32 PM

my comments were based on him graduating hs at like 15, college at 20 (engineering) and being super rich by his mid twenties.

your comments about his poker skill may be right (I have no idea), but it's pretty unlikely the guy is an idiot. lucky, maybe, idiot, doubtful.

--turnipmonster