Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Raise flop or turn?

I have two fish in this game. One of them I've only played shorthanded with, and am not sure about his full game skills. It's my third hand at the table and 3 of the players there have played all 3 of them if that means anything. Game is loose and not overly aggressive.

PP 10/20 (9 players)
Hero is button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Preflop: HiJack posts dead small and big (15$)
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, HiJack checks, CO calls, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

With everyone in, and this particular lineup, I couldn't resist calling preflop. Although I'm only getting 8:1 on my money, I feel I stand to make more much of the time. OK call?

Flop: 9 Players for 9.5 SB.
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, <font color="red">Hero?</font>.

If I raise now I feel there is about a 90% chance they will all check to me on the turn. If I'm beat I'll be 3-bet most of the time. Should I wait for a turn blank to charge flush draws the most and tie people to their hand? Or is the pot too big already to [censored] around in?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Raise flop or turn?

What's the flop? The preflop call is pretty marginal. I would much prefer a limp with a 98o type hand over even k9o that has a some connectedness or even shitty Qxs hands.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:56 PM

What flop? You should never have seen the flop, because you should have folded pre-flop.

Aside from that, what flop?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:29 PM

i fold preflop, everyones in, but you hand sucks multiway, if its suited, call

edit your post so we can see a flop too
Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 PM

Re: Preflop call.

I don't think it's as bad as you all make it out to be. Keep in mind that the table is extremely loose and around neutral agressiveness. The majority of the table goes too far with too little.

Now assume that if I flop either:
a) quads
b) full house
c) trips
d) two pair (using both my holecards)
e) King high flush draw (excluding the 8 high draw);
I can play them profitably post flop. There is a 4% chance that I will get any of these hands.

Now if I can also manage to be good with just a pair of Kings one time out of five that I flop a pair of KINGS (not 8s). That is another 3% approximately. I don't really know if 1/5 if reasonable but it sounds like a close enough assumption.

The total chance of the any of the above happening is around 7% or about 13.3:1 odds against. My call was getting 8:1 immediate pot odds with the best position possible for the remaining rounds.

All this means that I would have to be able to make at least 6 small bets post flop (3 big bets) to turn this play into a profit. Against this field, I feel there is a decent chance that I could make triple to quadruple that post flop (maybe 15-25 small bets), depending on exactly what I flopped. It seems to me that the implied has a massive overlay that I can't turn down, hence my preflop call.

But anyways, assume I posted on the button and got in for free (I realize you can't actually post on the button). How would you play this hand upon seeing the flop? Any discussion chance for that?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you play this hand upon seeing the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

i still cant see a flop
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 PM

LOL ok, enough said then. Lucky call by me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-27-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL ok, enough said then. Lucky call by me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

look at your original post, there is no flop in it
Old 10-27-2005, 11:25 PM

OK OK. Lemme try this again. In my defense I just cleared nearly 4000 raked hands before posting this. How embarassing.

Since I can't edit my original anymore.
Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 10-27-2005, 11:34 PM

i think you should raise now, charge people on the flop while they are willing call and give gutshots the wrong odds to call(with implied odds theyll probly be right to anyway, but this board is not very safe, you should do what you can to protect your hand), a flush draw is going nowhere, but if you wait till the turn, whats your plan if a diamond hits? also against this many opponents you might not have the best hand, id like to find out as soon as possible