Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: $55: Overpair in level 1

[ QUOTE ]
Folding Preflop: Even though I'm closing the action with this call, it is just too much to risk to hit a set right here, which is the ONLY way you will ever extract 1 more chip out of this pot. Combine that with the fact that after you limped UTG, there is a UTG+1 raise and then two MP calls, you are likely dominated anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you want to be up against a high PP overpair when you hit your set? The implied odds are there for a call. The only argument against calling is a stack retention argument, and I am not persuaded by such an argument in this case.

(Edited so I sounded less patronizing.)
Old 10-12-2005, 04:10 PM

I guess some people aren't. I am.

Have you looked at your pocket pairs through poker tracker over more than 2000 SnGs? I think if you make calls like this you are losing chips with them.

Being dominated is being dominated. No, you don't want to be dominated by potentially two or even three other players in this situation and have to pay a big price to see the flop where you can still lose. Or the board comes undercards and you have a pair of 88's and lose to AA/KK/QQ. (See: This post)

This is an easy fold in the 11s-55s. A decent call if you are a GREAT 109 player, and could be an OK call in 215s+.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM

I really am shocked that some are advocating a fold preflop. You do realize that two people cold called, right? There is 260 in the pot and it's only 60 more for me to call. There is no way I was folding this. The immediate pot odds are almost 5-1. The plan was to flop a set or get out. I'm not going to worry about the times where I hit my set and lose to some other hand. If it's set over set or they incorrectly call my flop bet with a draw and hit, so be it.

With all that said, I think that I probably should've folded the flop. For some reason I didn't think that a high pair was likely and I pushed. The raiser called w/ AKs and missed. I thought he would fold unpaired high cards, but I hadn't really considered how many ways he actually had to beat me if he called. It worked out well, but I think I'll follow my "set it or forget it" plan next time.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM

[quote

(Edited so I sounded less patronizing.)

[/ QUOTE ]

No need... I <3 all.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It worked out well, but I think I'll follow my "set it or forget it" plan next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. This is another big reason why I advocate folding preflop. People need to know when to get away. Sometimes that initial call will lead to hell, and that is bad.

NH
Old 10-12-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a fan of folding this preflop after the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be incredibly wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops!

You have a leak...

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo,

You are my boy, but folding 88 getting 5:1 for just over 5% of your stack in a multi way pot is a HUGE leak.

Love,
Beef
Old 10-12-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops!

You have a leak...

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo,

You are my boy, but folding 88 getting 5:1 for just over 5% of your stack in a multi way pot is a HUGE leak.

Love,
Beef

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but we've been over this.

Most players won't pull out enough $$ post flop with this hand here to make it worth it even though it's only 6% of your stack.

BTW Deuce: What does QFT mean?!?!

Yugoslav
Old 10-12-2005, 07:03 PM

You don't think you're winning ~200 chips after the flop with a set in a multi-way flop with a preflop raiser?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops!

You have a leak...

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo,

Love,
Beef

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but we've been over this.

Most players won't pull out enough $$ post flop with this hand here to make it worth it even though it's only 6% of your stack.

BTW Deuce: What does QFT mean?!?!

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted For Truth Homie
Old 10-12-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this if their weren't two cold callers. But since there is so much action already, I feel confident that almost any bet will get action from someboday after flopping a set.