Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

All I can say is wow just WOW.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:31 PM

Send them a link to www.homepokertourney.com and maybe they will see that THEY are the idiots.

FWIW, my tourney is a $10 buy-in, blinds also start at .25/.50, and I give $50 in tournament chips.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:20 PM

I had a similar situation. My employer decided to run a NL HE tourney. I told the organizer that I had experience doing tourneys and wanted to help run it. They kept refusing. The tourney started. I started explaining to the people on my end of the room the standard chip colors (red = 5, green = 25, etc.) and that we should probably start with T1000 chips. The organizers didn't care, and thought T1000 was way too many chips. So they just randomly selected a starting amount of chips and started randomly raising blinds.

They started breaking all sorts of rules. Someone couldn't be there for the first hour. Instead of blinding him off, they let him come in the second hour with a full stack of chips. When we got down to the final 7, I said we have to start the final table with the number of chips we had when at 2-tables. The people at the other table said they were dipping into the chip bank the whole time, so we had to start over with the same chip stacks we started with.

Would have been frustrating as hell if I didn't win the tourney.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Sometimes it is hard to separate 'fun, with girlfriend' poker from 'fun, make money' poker.

I usually try to appeal to a higher authority in these situations. Tell them it is the 'Raymer WSOP structure' or that 'limit cash' is the new 'NL tourney'. If it is a fun game that won't go on very often, try your best to keep it fun for you and balance it with their fun. Try to get them to play funky wild card games that you don't get to play every day. It sounds like you were reasonable in this situation so I would let it go this time and be prepared to let it go next time or not play.

Here's how it works for me: I try to convince them to play with less than their total bankroll and play limit, spread limit, or, worst case, something that resembles pot limit. "That's not how they do it on TV!" Ok, keep pushing your big stack all-in on those little pots since every one folded to you the last three times. Guess what, bud, not this time. My set is good--YouGetToSitOutAndWatchTheRestOfUsPlay. A $1 bet into a $15 pot, followed by a $0.25 raise, guess what, I drew out--YGTSOAWTROUP. Consistently call my raises with any two--YGTSOAWTROUP, then bitch to your boyfriend about how you aren't playing anymore. Show your girlfriend every time you hit your hand--YGTSOAWTROUP. Who's next? Oh, it is you, Miss "How much are the red chips again?" They are $5, just like they've been all night. You know, if you look close, you might just see the [censored] number 5 right there on the chip! You might as well just give it to me, since a flush really, really, really does beat a straight. No, I'm not kidding, it does beat a straight. Really.

As I'm collecting the cash I always tell them: I've bluffed with more money on Jack high today than all the money you guys have combined! I am the greatest poker player in all the land!

I don't know why I never get invited back.

Or, I show them that dealer's choice with a quarter limit is fun. I enjoy playing every hand and trying to calculate my outs in single draw crazy pinapple with 2's wild.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 PM

the $1 bet into the $15 was bad enough but my main point there was the 25 cent raise that came next. seriously, 5 people in and someone bet $1, the next person calls, the next person raises a quarter. i just tried not to laugh and then called.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:51 PM

you're right that i should have just let them play the way they wanted. the funny thing is that i was just trying to make it so that someone didn't come all the way over, throw in $10 bucks and then be done in 2 hands. i wasn't even thinking about myself. i didn't care if i won or not.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: You are a total ass. She should leave you.

what are you talking about?? this wasn't even my idea. i live with my girlfriend so all of her friends know that i play full-time. my girlfriend has never played. her friends claimed they play all the time and they wanted to play. also, they wanted to have the buy in $25. i was the one who suggested $10 to make it more "friendly" and because her other friend only came with $5. and it wasn't all girls playing. it was 3 couples and 1 girl came solo. like i said previously, i didn't care if i won or not. thats not why i was trying to explain the starting chips. i was concerned that one of her friends would come all the way over, throw in $10 and be done in 2 hands. ironically, the friend i was mainly concerned about was the one who complained the next day.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: You are a total ass. She should leave you.

[ QUOTE ]
what are you talking about?? this wasn't even my idea. i live with my girlfriend so all of her friends know that i play full-time. my girlfriend has never played. her friends claimed they play all the time and they wanted to play. also, they wanted to have the buy in $25. i was the one who suggested $10 to make it more "friendly" and because her other friend only came with $5. and it wasn't all girls playing. it was 3 couples and 1 girl came solo. like i said previously, i didn't care if i won or not. thats not why i was trying to explain the starting chips. i was concerned that one of her friends would come all the way over, throw in $10 and be done in 2 hands. ironically, the friend i was mainly concerned about was the one who complained the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you I just wouldnt play this "friendly" game anymore.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It really sounds like you tried to get them all to convert to what you thought was right. Even though it's clearly correct, being the one vs. everyone else is an a-hole thing to do. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. He didn't think he was right, he was right.

Don't let anyone's opinion of you color your objective opinion. If you are right, then stick to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice I said "Even though it's clearly correct". I am NOT SAYING HE THOUGHT HE WAS RIGHT, I'm saying HE WAS RIGHT.

My point was that these people are clearly liesurely players, and it's not worth a lot to argue with them. When it comes to an activity/game that you take very seriously and others do not, it is often hopeless to try to explain the details to people unless they are willing to listen. Clearly they were not.

Also the "If you are right, then stick to it" is the worst advice I have seen in this thread. It's a homegame for crying outloud. Is it worth not getting any from your gf to showing them that you're correct? It's childish.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No it's not. He obviously knows more about poker than some random dicks off the street and thus they should understand what he is doing is for the best, rather than give opinions they know nothing about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not expect people to cater to my decisions to a poker game simply because I am knowledgable. People are stubborn and aren't ready to listen to ideas that are new to them.

[ QUOTE ]
The person who called to complain to your girlfriend was a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it seemed unecessary.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, playing for money against her friends while they know you play a fair amount of poker is just going to go awfully. You spend all your night screaming 'you can't check!!' and if you win you seem like a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the 'check' comment gets it. Homegames should only be taken as seriously as others make it. This is key. 2+2ers really have to lighten up when playing against fish who are friends of SOs.